HELP!!!! Emergency Goat Question

Discussion in 'Goats' started by bgraham, Jun 22, 2006.

1. bgraham

bgraham Well-Known Member

I took my 10 week old buckling to the veterinarian today to be weathered. He took him back there, did the deed and put him back in the truck for me.

Well, he didn't do it like I was expecting. He cut the bottom of the scrotum off and supposedly did something to the cords. The problem is, the testicles are still there are are hanging about an inch out of the open scrotum. I called another vet and he said the testicles should be removed. My husband is having a cow convinced I just killed the goat. :Bawling:

What should I do? Has anyone seen this before? The vet that did the job said it would heal on its own and that I shouldn't have any problems but my husband said how can it heal when the testicles are hanging out.

HELP! I'm so upset!

Beth

2. Mrs_stuart

Mrs_stuart Well-Known Member

Wow! that sounds horrible...
    The process sounds the same as my vet, but he actually took the testicals out...after he cut the end of the scrotum off. It was quick, to fast for anyone to actually "witness". it didn't bleed much, just a few drops and by the next day, he was fine. I would take him back to the vet and ask him to complete the job, it is not ok to just leave them there.

belinda

3. BrahmaMama

BrahmaMama Well-Known Member

Holy Cow!!!!!

Okay, from what I understood, when My guy was wethered, what she did was cut a vertacle slit and snipped or crushed the cords. Kinda like a human vesectomy (sp?).
    There should be no "bottoms cut off" of "testicles hanging out"!!!! Gosh, poor guy must be in agony! :grump:

I'm thinking what happened is, the vet either forgot to throw a few extra stitches in there, or, they just didn't know what they were doing and butchered the poor fella.

Do your best to find a good vet ASAP, and get some stitches put in before it gets really messed up!

4. bgraham

Ok, I will take him back tomorrow. I just spoke with someone from goat 911.

She said she also cuts the scrotum but she removes the testicles, too. She just pulls them out real quick and does not sew the scrotum. She said it will close up.

I guess I will tell the vet to remove them. I feel like such an idiot. The vet assured me that it was done that way and there would be "no problem". I mean, good grief, the whole reason I took him to a vet was so it would be done right. I am new to goats and wasn't ready to tackle the job myself.

5. BrahmaMama

BrahmaMama Well-Known Member

No kidding, I feel so bad for you and your goat guy. If he's in alot of pain you can get him a baby aspirin or about a quarter of a reg. aspirin. That's what my vet told me. It really seemed to help Nigel the next day.

Good luck tomorrow.

6. myheaven

myheaven Well-Known Member Supporter

Oh you poor thing and your poor boy. I wouuld go into that vet steaming mad and make him/her do it for free!!!!!!!!!! the job was not compleeted.

7. Freeholder

Freeholder Well-Known Member

I agree that the vet needs to finish the job -- cutting the bottom of the scrotum off is one of the standard methods of castrating, but the whole purpose of doing that is to be able to remove the testicles! Otherwise what's the point??? But it should NOT then be stitched closed. It has to be able to drain.

Watch for fly strike -- it's getting into warm weather and any cut or wound is liable to get flies laying eggs in it.

Kathleen

8. dosthouhavemilk

dosthouhavemilk Well-Known Member Supporter

I'm wondering if the vet didn't crush the cords after cutting off the end of the scrotum? :shrug:

I've never heard it done that way. When ours have been cut, Joe cut the lower 1/3rd of the scrotum off, clamped the cord and ripped the testicle off. Did the same for the other side.

It certainly doesn't seem quite as safe. If you're just gonna crush why not just use a burdizzo and not make an open wound. At that point the crushing is pointless if the kid is already exposed with an open wound.

Hmmm...

9. Sondra Peterson

Sondra Peterson Well-Known Member

Wondering what happened with this lil guy and how he is.

10. okgoatgal2

okgoatgal2 Well-Known Member

you could have done that yourself !! I'd think a vet would know better than to leave em dangling in there....but goat vets are few and far between

it's easy, although it does take some people a while to get past the squeamishness. cut off the bottom third, pull each testicle completely out-let the cord snap on it's own, spray with antibiotic spray (like Furall) and let em go. they heal just fine.

11. bgraham

And boy, do I feel dumb.

Ok. I caught the little guy (Pepper) and took him to a DIFFERENT vet. It was not an easy task as every time he saw me he went the opposite direction!

Anyway, he DID NOT have any testicles. They had been removed. (Where's the completely and utterly embarrased smilie?) Which is a good thing. :)

What we were seeing hanging out was the top of the cords. (I'm telling you they were large and round!! Ah well, what do I know. Live and learn). Apparently, they were swollen a lot. Probably because of his age. So the new vet gave him a shot of antibiotics and charged me $37 and we went back home. He is doing great. He has been out jumping and playing with his sister and mother. I'm just glad he is ok.

The husband is doing better, too. :baby04:

Ok. Feel free to laugh at us!!

Beth

12. trob1

trob1 Well-Known Member

Hey live and learn. You know when it comes to our goats we all seem to panic when we think something is wrong. I personally don't trust vets with goats and have yet to find one I like. :shrug: I am glad to hear he is ok. I have been checking for an update.

13. wooly1s

wooly1s Well-Known Member

We have used the banding method this year, and have had great results. No big scary open wounds. Little guys don't seem to mind too much. Doesn't freak me out to do it (I can't handle disbudding - I pay someone else - we all know our limitations!)

I know there are risks no matter what method you choose.

One would think that having invested the $$ in a vet, the vet would have been a little more forthcoming in an explanation of what you saw, what to expect and what to watch for. Glad you found a new vet through the experience, and sorry for your troubled heart!