help, doggie sick

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by robmiap, Jun 20, 2004.

1. robmiap

robmiap Member

Hi everyone,
    I usually am a poster over on the goat board, but I thought here I might find someone to help me. we have an 8 yof dog, ****zu, and she started peeing on the floor last night, her urine has a foul odor and there was some blood. Im thinking a urinary tract infection. I have found a holistic vet near us(can call him tomorrow) but was wondering if anyone out there uses herbs to treat their animals and what would you use for this? thanks so much Mia in IN

2. fin29

fin29 Well-Known Member

I don't know when the last time is that you had a UTI, but one bad enough to make you bleed is extremely painful. Get the dog some antibiotics and ease its suffering. That's what they're for. Twelve hours after the first dose she'll feel 100% better. Make her some weak chicken broth and get her to drink it to flush her out.
    Save the herbs for prevention.

3. HarleysMom

HarleysMom Well-Known Member

Since this is Sunday, until you can get her to a vet, give her some cranberry or vitamin C until she gets the runs and keep giving her vitamin C during the day and night to keep up the amount in her bloodstream. Both will help with the pain which must be extreme.

4. Cyngbaeld

Cyngbaeld In Remembrance Supporter

I use uva ursi for people and animals. It is a urinary tract antiseptic and analgesic. I always take 2 to 4 caps to start then 1 or 2, 4 or 5 times a day till I'm better. I've used it on dogs with real good success. I buy it thru Puritans Pride but it grows wild in a lot of areas and is used for landscape plantings in many urban areas. Another name is 'bear berry.'
    Hope pup feel better soon.

5. Mudwoman

Mudwoman Well-Known Member

Our local feed and seed store carries penicillin for animals for not much money. Chances are that nothing is going to clear this up except an antibiotic. So, check with a feed store near you. Probably give twice a day for 10 days.

6. Little Quacker in OR

Little Quacker in OR Well-Known Member

:)Hi! You didn't state whether this dog is spayed or not..an important point as she may have pyometra, an infection of the uterus. If this is the case, she will need spaying and AB's while recovering.

I do hope you get her some help and that all is OK. LQ

7. countrygrrrl

countrygrrrl PITA

Quacker's right. Pyometra can be deadly for a dog and will kill them in a very painful way. :( UTIs can also be VERY difficult to treat, once they get a grip on a pup.

You need to get her to a vet and on antibiotics. And don't be surprised if it takes a couple of rounds for a UTI. Otherwise, you may end up with either an intractable UTI or a very sick (possibly dead :( ) pup from pyometra.