Help!!! Doeling died tonight!!

Discussion in 'Goats' started by rainedaze, May 24, 2005.

1. rainedaze

rainedaze Well-Known Member

I had my doeling die tonight from seizure like symptoms. I went out tonight to give the babies their nightly bottle. She began drinking her bottle as normal. All of a sudden her head dropped and she was just standing there. My husband and I realized she had gone blind and deaf. She began to have seizure like symptoms and foaming at the mouth. We called our vet and he had no ideas what to do with her to help. Two hours after this began she passed away. Does anyone have any idea what may have caused this or has anyone had this happen to them? We are very new to this and very upset. :waa: She was one of my favorite. Any help would be appreciated. I would really hate for this to happen to another one of my goats if it can be helped.

2. copperpennykids

copperpennykids Well-Known Member Supporter

So sorry to hear about your doe. It sort of sounds like polio encephalimaetis (sp?). You have to treat your doe with Thiamine. a bottle will cost you between $8-12 and you have to get it from your vet. The sooner the goat gets the thiamine, the better the chances for good recovery. So you might want to get a bottle and put it in your first aid box.

Camille

3. dale anne

dale anne Well-Known Member

Howdy ...i agree with the other poster but 8 -12 bucks is expensive i just buy vit b1 off brand from wallyworld...it's the same thing and cost is minimal...was this doe sick beforehand? sounds so sudden could she have got into moldy feed,hay? ate a poisionus plant?...stung by a wasp or bee...I had a lil buckling die a few months back due to a wasp sting i did give him eppi injected but I reckon I was to late as giving him the second shot he took his final breath...wasp are really bad around here and have lost some bunnies also due to them....another thing that it sounds like is copper overdose....really hard to say without a necrospy...good luck with future goats...dale anne

4. GoldenWood Farm

GoldenWood Farm Legally blonde! Supporter

I disagree...I have never heard that polio would strike that fast. Could she have been choking on the milk somehow??

If she was fine when she took the bottle then something hit her REALLY fast....

Hmmm..sorry I am not much help :no: . :waa: .

<<<<<<<<<<hugs>>>>>>>>>>>>

MotherClucker

5. hoggfan

hoggfan Active Member

I agree with Mother Clucker sounds to me like she choked. But heck what do I know ?

6. KellyHill

KellyHill Well-Known Member

She began drinking her bottle as normal. All of a sudden her head dropped and she was just standing there. My husband and I realized she had gone blind and deaf. She began to have seizure like symptoms and foaming at the mouth.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm so sorry to hear about your doeling, It is so frustrating and makes you feel helpless when you lose one of babies.

What type of milk were you feeding her? If it was milk replacer, she could have died from foamy bloat. It can come on very quickly.
    Maybe one of the other more knowledgable list members will have a better idea.

Kathy