Help! Dead sheep

Discussion in 'Sheep' started by Redeemed98, Sep 16, 2005.

1. Redeemed98

Redeemed98 Well-Known Member

I woke yesterday to find my 1 yr old ram dead in the pasture. I have noticed him lying around a bit. We are in an area hard hit by Katrina, so with all that has been going on I was not as aware of his condition as I should have been.
    I have a little bit older ewe that is also lying around now and not even showing an interest in feed. She is also having diaherea (sp?).
    I only have 2 sheep now, I don't want to lose this ewe to whatever killed the ram. Any ideas on what i should do with her? Thanks-- Greg

2. bergere

bergere Just living Life

Greg,

Without being there and seeing the sheep I can't help. Sorry about that.
    Your best bet is get a Vet out there as fast as you can.

Hope she makes it.

3. Ross

Ross Moderator Staff Member Supporter

Vet is a good idea, but worms would be my strong suspision.

4. Goat Freak

Goat Freak Slave To Many Animals

Sorry hope that your girl is just fine.

5. eieiomom

eieiomom Well-Known Member

Sorry about your ram.
    I recently received word from a person who lives in the Katrina hit area and who got some lambs from me a year ago.
    Apparently she lost one to a fallen structure and the others due to a respiratory infection, the vet was unsucessful in treating.
    Might ask your vet for antibiotic treatment and treat her for worms as well as vitamin B-complex to pick her up a bit and encourage her to eat.

Hope your others sheep do ok and your human family is fine too.

6. mdperry

mdperry Member

I had the same thing happen to a ewe of mine. I am doctoring her right now. I am a little to the west of the Katrina area. Southeast LA. I got her eating again with probiotic paste. I relly feel her problem was flukes. She seemed to get better only after I gave her Ivermec Plus. Before I used the plus, I had hit her with the whole medicine cabinet. Nothing waws working. My best friend is a vet and he has been advising me. We both feel it was flukes.

MP