Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My cat (indoor) is licking and scratching all his fur off especially on his belly. Took him to the vet they gave him a shot and some pills, hydrocortisone. But it isn't working any more. Have tried changing his food, have given him homeopathic remedies for people and pets, not working. Heard that male, fixed cats often have really dry skin. He doesn't have fleas the vet confirmed this. Fed him some bacon grease tonight with his food to try and hydrate his skin. Now I'm thinking some kind of lotion or oil just like people but not sure what would work without stinging. Lisa

·
Premium Member
15,981 Posts
He will lick off any topical. What brands of food have you tried?

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
He's eaten Science Diet almost his whole life. Recently a friend told me about how she makes her dogs food after the pet food scare. So I tried making his food. He kept licking. Thats it so far in the food department.
Great idea about the vitamin E and fish oil. I have both and it makes sense I take the vitamin e for my skin! I was trying to rub the vitamin e on him last night. So he probably already washed it off. Thanks. Lisa

·
Premium Member
15,981 Posts
Science Diet is not a quality food. How long did you make him homemade food? Some animals will bounce into good health after only one or two raw meals, but others take longer. It is going to take a while for his body to detox. You can help by giving him parsley water. Simply heat up some water and pour it over a bunch of parsley (don't boil the parsley). Let it steep and once it cools down, pour into an ice cube tray. Drop a parsley tea ice cube in his water every day. The parsley helps to cleanse and support the liver.

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Maura,
Science diet certainly has a "quality" price tag. What would be a quality food?
I will try continueing to make his food. The outside cat won't eat the home made.
Will also try the parsley tea.
Have been giving him vitamin e and fish oil daily as well as the homeopathic remedy for cats. Still scratching and washing. Lisa

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.