Help!! - Buck having trouble walking

Discussion in 'Goats' started by MillsFarmFamily, Dec 16, 2006.

1. MillsFarmFamily

MillsFarmFamily Well-Known Member

We have a Boer buck that is about 1-1/2 - 2 years old and this a.m. he looked like he was having trouble walking. He came to eat, but has basically been laying down all day. When he does get up to walk his back end is all wobbly. He almost seemed like something his hip has gone out. Anyone have any info that can help us?? Thanks a million

2. fishhead

fishhead Well-Known Member Supporter

3. fishhead

fishhead Well-Known Member Supporter

4. ozark_jewels

ozark_jewels Well-Known Member Supporter

Back end being wobbly sounds like menengial worm(deer worm). This is a damp time of year so its very possible. If it is, he needs Ivomec. I have never had to deal with this myself so thats about all I know.
    Other things could be an injury....is there anyone in his pen that is big enough to injure him?? Is he in good condition in other respects??

5. oberhaslikid

oberhaslikid Well-Known Member Supporter

If it is Menigial worm .I gave a doe I had Bose shot and Vit B.Then gave Ivermectin Orally double dose for three days .then went to Panacur (Safeguard) for 5 days Double the dose.Shes back with the herd and was totally paralyzed in the rear legs.
    Worked on trying to get her to stand after 3 days.I didnt see any inprovement so I took her to put her down and she took off and walked away so that gave me hope to see her walk so we went back to the barn and finished out the 5 days Gave her the safeguard and she is back with the herd.

6. MillsFarmFamily

MillsFarmFamily Well-Known Member

Thanks for the info, it does seem from all of the symptoms he probably has deer worms, we have deer that actually jump into the same field as our 2 bucks. The only contradiction to the deer worm theory is that we are in one of the driest spots in our area during one of the driest times we've had in years. We did give him Ivomec as soon as he started acting strange and we had ruled out any injury. Last night started giving him vit B. He seems to be a little better, definately not any worse. Thanks again for everyone here that has been so helpful. :baby04: