Help! Brown recluse spiders in house!!!

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by clovis, Sep 23, 2004.

1. clovis

clovis Well-Known Member

In the past five days, I have found 4 brown recluse spiders in my bedroom and bathroom, which adjoin. These are the two rooms that we air condition during hot days. Three of the spiders were found next to our bed, with one of them IN OUR BED!!!!!
    Yesterday was the first of fall, and everyone says this is normal. I don't think that finding 4 spiders within 10 feet of one another is normal.
    I sprayed an Ortho product all around the foundation, and went and bought a indoor spray for the interior of the house.
    How do I rid the house of these spiders???????
    My wife is scared to death, and I am creeped out!!
    clove

2. countrygrrrl

countrygrrrl PITA

Start vacuuming. Everything. :yeeha:

Shake out everything in the closets and drawers. And vacuum in the dressers and closets. :yeeha:

Really and truly, the best way to get them out of theere is to clean! :yeeha:

3. bare

bare Head Muderator

Hey, anyone know why all that dust is flying out of Clovis' house?

4. OD

OD Well-Known Member

In addition to a good vaccuming, I would try the brown recluse traps. A neighbor put out some & caught 4 the first night. I've heard some people say they don't work, but they certainly did for her.

5. gccrook

gccrook Well-Known Member

You cannot really get rid of them. You can leesen the amount and resuce the chances of finding them, but you cannot get rid of them.

http://www.ur.ku.edu/News/02N/JuneNews/June11/spidertips.html

This link might help. We have them in our house, and I even had one walk across my leg while laying on the bed. Creepy? Yes! They are very prolific where I live in Kansas. We use the sticky traps and try to keep areas clean.

6. gccrook

gccrook Well-Known Member

7. Cyngbaeld

Cyngbaeld In Remembrance Supporter

Don't have any references to give on this, but I read several years ago NOT to use insecticide. It seems the brown recluse has good resistance to the insecticides. In the meantime other spiders are killed that would both prey on the recluse and compete with it for food. Also, when vacuuming, don't take a web down unless you see the maker and can vacuum it up at the same time. Otherwise the spider moves to another spot.

8. HiouchiDump

HiouchiDump Well-Known Member

OK, before I write it, I realize this is not a suggestion that will work for most people ;).

The most effective control on these may be biological. Two other predatory critters will very effectively control spider populations in the house if left to roam - praying mantids and wolf spiders. Now, you probably don't want to let wolf spiders loose since most people are creeped out by spiders, but many people are not bother by the good old praying mantis.

Several years ago I kept a few in a cage and would let them roam from time to time. Kept the house very bug free. They will even eat nasties like black widows or hobo spiders. Praying mantids can sometimes be picked up at nurseries and I'm sure they could be ordered on line.

Possibly the most important thing is not to make a niche by eliminating competition. If you kill all spiders you see, it increases the number of prey insects wandering around and makes the area more attractive to spiders migrating in. If you leave harmless spiders alone, there will not be enough prey to attract more spiders to come and stay.

Of course, spider farming is not for everyone ;).

-Bill

9. clovis

clovis Well-Known Member

Thank you for all of your responses.

I should also note that we do keep a very clean house I would never be emabarrassed to allow anyone to see our house-we really do keep it clean. Lots of junk in the closets, like my wifes clothes, but nothing out of the ordinary. We do not have junk or stuff laying around outside the house either. I have understood that brown recluses love to live under piles of junk, etc.

As for vacuuming, are we trying to vacuum up the spiders themselves?

The house does sit on a full basement, and haven't seen any spiders down there, especially the brown recluse.

I am getting worried about this problem.

Again thanks, and keep the suggestions coming.
    clove

10. HiouchiDump

HiouchiDump Well-Known Member

Here is some info from a '98 entomology journal (thus may be a bit out of date). The standard pesticides used to control recluse spiders are pyrethroids and they are said to be very effective, even in a low, residual dose. Two common trade names for this type of pesiticide are Scourge and Anvil. I've never used them, so I can't vouch for this info.

Good luck!
    -Bill

11. Beeman

Beeman Well-Known Member

Only 4? Our house in NC would have lots of Brown Recluse spiders everywhere. It was a pastime to chase them and squash them. We co habitated with them as we were outnumbered.

12. soulsurvivor

soulsurvivor Well-Known Member Supporter

still laughing at Bill's referral to "spider farming not being for everyone". :)

13. Nina

Nina Well-Known Member

I don't know if it'll help, but when we had a lot of centipedes, we got a garden duster, filled it with diatomaceous earth (not the d.e. that's used in swimming pool filters, the other stuff that's used for worming animals) and "dusted" areas where they might be hiding...attics and between floors, as much as possible. They're not gone, but it's much better. It helps around the foundation of the house, too...keeps ants out!

14. timmcentire

timmcentire Active Member

We found that the sticky glue traps work the best. Check out www.e-bug.net or call 1-800-226-8370 and get a box full of their inexpensive traps (don't pay those higher prices at the store). Then set the traps all around your house, near doorways, closets, beds, etc. Put them by the walls cause these spiders like to travel alongside walls and such. The traps really work well ! Also, be wary of the speed of these spiders - I've seen them really haulin'.

Once, I was lying on the couch and one flew across my arms. I smacked and missed and it flew back across my body again. This time I whacked it. I couldn't believe how fast it was moving.

My son was bit on the lower back and it destroyed the tissue about the size of a quarter. We called the poison control center and they said there was not much you could do unless it got infected.

Also, there was a guy around here who had a cabin that he was using as a breeding ground for brown recluses. He was doing experiments, writing a book, or something. Anyway, my wife said that he found that there was another spider that took care of brown recluses. This would be the larger grass spider (don't know the species). We found here that when these kinds of spiders were in abundance in our basement, the brown recluses were in short supply - so maybe there's some truth to his research.

Good luck with it all and be sure to set those traps.

15. Beeman

Beeman Well-Known Member

Before you freak out about these spiders catch one and have it positively identified. Our house was overrun with spiders but most were wolf spiders. I caught a sample of the spiders I saw in a baby food jar and took them to the ag. extension office. He identified them for me and usually kept them to use as an aid when others wanted spider identification. He said most people brought him squashed ones.

16. dla

dla Well-Known Member

Ugh. I don't dislike spiders, but gccrook's web pages have me thanking God we're not in the MidWest!
    eeeeeeeew.
    For some reason, we have about twenty times the number of spiders around this year.
    I wonder if having cats (we have nine this year and only had kittens last year)
    got rid of the mice which got rid of the snakes who used to kill the spiders?
    (I don't know why she swallowed the fly....)

17. GeorgeK

GeorgeK Well-Known Member

since black widows and brown recluse are common in Ky, we simply named the wolf spiders that patrol, they also eat ants, which when you have children trying to lose food who knows where, even when they know not to take food out of the kitchen, unless it's outside..., there's albert (fuzzy black wolf spider with green eyes) Edward (fuzzy black wolf spider with red eyes) and Reggie (fuzzy black and white striped wolf spider with green eyes). not to mention Harry (big fuzzy brown wolf spider without a violin)

18. Shrek

Shrek Singletree Moderator Staff Member

I vacuum and use UV light to herd them out . Then spray with malethion.

19. Parsonrei1

Parsonrei1 Member

I was bitten 4 or 5 days ago by a brown recluse spider that left a half-dollar size wound on my right leg. Was advised by some medical friends to see a doctor today and he prescribed an anti-biotic (keflex) for ten days. The bite of a brown recluse is painless. Pain comes after the necrotic process begins. My doctor says it will take months for this wound to heal. I treat with an anti-biotic creme (triple anti B) ad keep bandaged. Recluses are sneaky critters!

20. countrygrrrl

countrygrrrl PITA

And you people wonder why I love my skinks and little tiny lizards and frogs and toads so much.

:yeeha: Them's spider-eating machines. :yeeha: