Help Bottle feeding Question

Discussion in 'Goats' started by oldmanriver, Apr 8, 2006.

1. oldmanriver

oldmanriver Well-Known Member

We had a friend that lost a doe the baby is 1 month old how much milk should we give it I think it is a Boer buck maybe 10 lbs

2. T Lynn

T Lynn Well-Known Member

I feed mine at least 20oz of milk 2 times daily. If you want him to grow really big and strong then do 20oz 3 times daily. Make sure it is milk, either cow or goat. If you do the replacer then you should feed 3 times daily but only feed acording to the directions. You can not feed 20oz at a time with the replacor or you will have problems! Good luck with your baby!

3. chris30523

chris30523 Well-Known Member

Can you feed the condensed goat milk that they sell in the baby section at the groc store??

4. witchysharon

witchysharon Well-Known Member

condensed goat milk

From my own and others experience, goats don't seem to like the canned condensed goat milk. You would be better off feeding them regular whole cows milk (or fresh goat milk in the carton in the dairy section if you can find it, although it is expensive)

I am currently feeding two babies now using whole cows milk and they are doing great. I have used replacers before but they are often the cause of scours in kids.

5. GoldenWood Farm

GoldenWood Farm Legally blonde! Supporter

Here is what I do feeding wise (kids are growing great so far..I have never tried it this way but so far I like it)

0-1 month fed 3 times a day (sometimes 4) and get as much as they want on the bottle.

1-2 months get fed 2 time daily and get as much as they want on the bottle.

2-3 months get fed 1 time daily and get as much as they want on the bottle.

At 3 - 3 1/2 months I wean them from the bottle although this year with my does I am keeping back they will be kept on the bottle longer as I want to see how that helps with their growth.

So with your guy I would start him at 3 bottles a day to get him used to it, then move him down to 2 within a few days. I would feed him just 20oz each feeding. As I have my own milking does it is easier for me to feed as much as I want seeing as I have tons of milk.

MotherClucker

6. Wendy

Wendy Well-Known Member

Two (2o oz.) bottles a day would be good. He should be starting to eat hay & grain too. You may have an awful hard time getting him on a bottle if he was on his dam for a month. I have actually had 2 that refused & ended up dying. Good luck!

7. T Lynn

T Lynn Well-Known Member

If he will not take the bottle then offer him the milk in a pan. Make sure the milk is warm. If you need help with ideas on how to get him to take a bottle ask and I have several suggestion and I am sure others do too.