Help!- Boer Goat Problem

Discussion in 'Goats' started by FarmGirl11, Jul 24, 2004.

1. FarmGirl11

FarmGirl11 New Member

[/FONT]

Help! Two weeks ago I purchased a boer goat that had scours, but it appeared to be clearing up. I dewormed all my goats one week ago. About five days later the goat's face and bottom jaw swelled up and the scours came back. I called the person who sold me the goat and they said that she had a bad case of worms and that I should deworm her with 3x the normal dosage. I did just that and the next morning the swelling had dramatically decrease, but by dark her face swelled up again. Today she seems slugish and is not eating well. So here is my question- What do I need to do to make my goat better?

2. TexCountryWoman

TexCountryWoman Gig'em

If it were my goat, I would do one of two things. If it was not an extremely expensive goat, I would watch it and see what happens. If it was a high dollar good quality registered breeding animal, I might take it to the vet. Alot of times what happens when there is a heavy infestaion of worms in an animal is that when the paracites are all killed off by dewormers, the dead worms in the body can create toxins if there are a whole lot of them. Sometimes this can make the animals quite ill. I know with horses, it is important to watch for any signs of illness after worming for that very reason therefore it seems it would apply to goats as well. That could be a theory on what happened to your goat. Make sure it doesn't dehydrate. I hope your goat gets better.

3. Manchamom

Manchamom trail ahead-goats behind

Actually your goat probably has bottle jaw in which case it needs iron and quickly. The other signs are pale eye rings and lips. Red Cell is an excellent muti-vitamin iron replacer. Don't use it if you are planning to eat the goat though. Jill

4. FarmGirl11

FarmGirl11 New Member

Thanks guys for all of your good advice, today she is up moving around and doing a lot better. I think she'll be fine.