Help!!! Black Sugar Ants In Worm Bins

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Fla Gal, Jul 3, 2005.

1. Fla Gal

Fla Gal Bunny Poo Monger Supporter

Now I've seen it all with these little buggers. The worst problem I've had with them is to have to give them water in the summer time to keep them out of the house sinks and toilets. They are so crafty at finding the smallest nook and cranny to get what they need.

I have two worm bins, one with worms, brown paper, coffee grounds, egg shells and rabbit poo. The other bin has the same things, minus the worms and both bins are covered. The only thing I can figure is it's rained so much that the ants are migrating to the worm bins because the bins aren't drenched with water. The little ant buggers are crawling in both of the
    bins! :grump:

If they're harmful to the worms does anyone know of an organic way of getting rid of them or am I just over reacting to an act of nature and maybe the sugar ants would be beneficial or harmless to the worms. :confused:

Any help or advise would be much appreciated.

2. palani

palani Well-Known Member

Don't know the affect on the worms but think diatanaceous earth might help do them in. Composed of super sharp calcium that scratches the exoskeleton of an insect and causes them to lose body mosture. Come to think of it, this may make them thirstier.

3. Ahne Homestead

Ahne Homestead Well-Known Member

I heard baby powder does the same thing. A three or four inch wide circle around the bins would make it impossable for the ants to cross. As far as will the ants bother the worms I don't know but they are always looking for a food source and I would be afraid they may pick the worms to munch on. Carl

4. Fla Gal

Fla Gal Bunny Poo Monger Supporter

palani,

The thing that worries me about DE is the worms skin is so soft and the DE might hurt them worse than it hurts the ants.

Then again, if I don't mix the DE into the soil, the ants will crawl around in it on the top of the soil and the worms would be below the surface, therefore not be in contact with the DE as the ants will.

I need more input on the subject to be able to make a responsible decision. Any suggestions on how not to have the DE harm the worms or to get rid of the ants another way?

5. Ahne Homestead

Ahne Homestead Well-Known Member

I found this on another sight.

At the bottom of the page are two links. I got this quote from the first one.

http://www.homestead.org/Gardening/RaisingEarthworms.htm