Help! Big rat problem in barn

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by soapmakermom, May 18, 2005.

1. soapmakermom

soapmakermom Well-Known Member

I've searched the archives for help on erradicating rats from the barn, but there just doesn't seem to be very many innovative ideas. We've been fighting this battle for months now. We put poison in the holes. My son or husband goes out every night and shoots or machetes rats. Our coonhound goes rat hunting every night, and often catches one. The only animals we have in the barn now are one useless cat and chickens, so we are considering moving the chickens out of the barn and doing something drastic. What do you all think about blocking exit holes, piping gasoline in the holes that are left and lighting them? We want to do something to kill them all at once. This little by little is not working, they are multiplying faster than we can kill them.
    Another concern I have is that if we remove their source of food and water without erradicating them, they might move into our house. There is no way I can chance that happening.
    Anyone have a good idea on how to kill them all at once? We are open to serious suggestions.
    Thanks!
    Mary

2. Wendy

Wendy Well-Known Member

We did this once. Remove their food source & sit out poison. We put out about 50 packs of rat bait. Also sit a small pan of water. It will make them thirsty & the water makes it work faster. Anyway, the next morning I picked up over 50 dead rats!! The following night I repeated the process. Next day picked up less than 10 & that was it. Kept poison out for about a week with no further dead rats found. Have not had a problem with them since, but if we got them that bad again, I would do the same thing. Before the posion my brothers would come over & shoot them. Killed over 30 one night. It was like the movie Willard! :eek:

3. Wendy

Wendy Well-Known Member

Forgot to add that you have to remove any other food source or they will not eat the poison.

4. mamajohnson

mamajohnson Knitting Rocks! Supporter

be sure to get the best poison. All I will use is called "just one bite"
    Picked some up today... It really kills them in one bite. I usually put my package up high, after I put out bait, and found it later,, eaten to peices.
    So, they actually LIKE the stuff to boot. Havent seen rats in the barn since.
    Good luck, I absolutely HATE rats, they make me freak out!!! (and run and scream and do stupid stuff.... lol! ) :haha:

5. Patty0315

Patty0315 Well-Known Member

I HATE rats. They must be getting alot of food some were else. We also use bait and it takes care of them. Having a few extra cats also help.I had a ton 2 years ago , none last year and I just started getting a few so I put out bait and no more problem. We lost a few cats this winter , so I think we will get a few more to keep rats away.

6. Conni

Conni Well-Known Member

We havent moved to our property yet... but boy do we have rats out there. There are junk piles that they live in, and old nasty house they live in, and some in old shed, etc... So, a few months ago we sat out poison like the ladies above mentioned and when we went back to the property we found several dead rats. This weekend we are taking some stray cats out there (that are hanging out at my dads house), we are going to set them up in the barn with an automatic waterer... They shoudl take care of some of the rats I hope. :)

Good luck! You really should try the poison! I think it'll work for ya.

7. allenslabs

allenslabs Saanen & Boer Breeder

My dad always gets a 5 gal bucket half full of water...... puts something next to it that they could get to the top of the bucket easily (like a board walking up to it or a bale of hay) and the rats go there to drink and fall in and drown. That always works for him!

8. brosil

brosil Well-Known Member Supporter

Cats won't do it. They like smaller game. If poison doesn't work, find a Jack Russel breeder in your area and see if he'd like to run his dogs in your barn. One of our locals does that and it might cut your numbers down to managable levels where other methods might be effective.

9. foxtrapper

foxtrapper Well-Known Member Supporter

Loose poison is not as effective as pinned poison. Remember, to them the poison is feed. They take loose feed and hoard it, storing it for winter when there isn't as much feed around. So they pile it up, and eat other things, failing to die.

Pinned poison, as in those large pellets that are pinned inside feeding station boxes cannot be hoarded. The rats gnaw on it as a result of being unable to transport it, and die. That's why this sort of poison is so much more effective.

Cheap poisons like Tomcat are not as good as expensive ones like Jaguar. You get what you pay for with poisons.

Move the stations around. You've got to have it in the right location for the rats, which may not make any sense to you, a mere human. If you open a station and the poison is gnawed away, great! Refill and leave it in place until it's not being gnawed any longer. Then start moving it again.

Don't just stick with one type of poison. Rotate a few types through. Between taste (not all rats will like a given flavor) and poison resistance, you need to use several types.

And of course eliminate the other feed sources. Most especially, no more pans of feed laying out at night and no wooden feed bins.

10. soapmakermom

I guess poison is the way we are going to go. We are going to empty the barn tonight - take out all the animals and feed, and then put out poison. I like the idea that the poison must be pinned down. Thanks for the suggestions. Mary

11. Snakeoil

Snakeoil Well-Known Member

Quit feeding the useless cat.

12. kabri

kabri Almst livin the good life

I read this thread with interest but was dissappointed there were no alternatives besides poison. We are very concerned that our cat and dogs would find dead/dying rats from poison and eat them. Our cat DOES kill rats, about 1 a week and she eats part of what she kills. The dogs will eat her kill if they can get it away from her. (this is a 10year old cat, only about 10lbs, and blind in one eye!!!)

13. Helena

Helena Well-Known Member

At this time of year we are doing the same thing. We get the bags and open them up and put them in a "for poison only" dish and smear peanut butter all over it. They will eat it that night and within a few days you will find the dead rats. We have done it twice so far this past week but know for sure there are plenty more. Actually last year we dug up the chicken coop floor and hubby shot about 20 big and small as they came running out of the ground. My job was to stand and scream !!!!!! :D We will continue with the poison until we have it under control because no matter how clean you are with the grain or food for your animals the rats will still be there. Of course our neighbor across the raod with his barn isn't concerned about his rat problem so it certainly doesn't help us any but..what can you do there. I have heard that there are more rats in the country than the city...just don't see them because they have more places to hide. Good Luck and Ah...Isn't Country Life Grand !!! :rolleyes:

14. soapmakermom

Yes, Helena, my job is to stand and scream too! Today I purchased the metal trash cans for feed and I bought some "just one bite" poison. We will secure it down so the rats can't take it away to hoard it. Kabri, what alternatives do you have other than poison? I hate to use it too, but hey, we have to do something fast here.
    We had no rats for 9 years here, until a neighbor cleaned out his barn and killed over 400 rats. The rest came running our way, I think. Yuck.
    We are on a rat hunt!
    Mary

15. Tracy

Tracy Well-Known Member

I remember reading this before but never tried it, if you put down some type of cola [pepsi, coke] they will drink it and the carbination from the pop will kill them becaus eit will release gas in the stomach and they cant burb or something like that. :confused:

16. agmantoo

agmantoo agmantoo Supporter

Where in the barn are the rats living? Is there any concrete floor area? Are they digging under a concrete slab? When you remove the food and the area where they reside (if no concrete) they will leave. If there is concrete then I will tell you how to stop their living under the slab.

stef29 likes this.
  17. MaKettle

MaKettle Well-Known Member

Hate rats. Have fortunately never had a problem community. Read that they are smart, so you have to put an overkill of poison all at one time to get as many as possible the first time you set it out. An above post described this. Then repeat for any who may have missed out on the feast.

I save small plastic containers, like Cool Whip or oleo tubs, cut a rodent sized hole in side, and place the bait inside. That way there is less chance one of the chickens will eat it.

18. TimandPatti

TimandPatti Texas

I did a search online and found this, so I might have to try it.
    Pasted it here for ya'll.

"On my grandfathers farm in central Oklahoma, he had a corn crib where he had the usual problem keeping out rats. He used to purchase one case of Coca Cola every week for the exclusive use in pie pans in his grainery to kill rats! No, Grandpa didn't think the ingredients of Coca Cola were toxic. He explained to us that rats cannot belch. They were attracted to the taste of the Coca Cola and would drink large quantities of it only to be unable to belch the carbonated drink and they would actually explode. He would find their carcasses lying about with their stomaches burst open. Other animals and birds were apparently not attracted to the drink and he considered it safe. He replaced the cola daily to keep the carbonation fresh enough to do the trick."

19. Laura Workman

Laura Workman (formerly Laura Jensen) Supporter

In two different houses my mom has taken care of rat problems by mixing cement 50/50 with flour and putting it out. The rats eat it and get REALLY constipated, then die. If a passing animal eats the rat, it's OK, because they just have little rocks in them, not poison.

For myself, I just put the cat food out in the barn. Presto, no more rat problem. Haven't seen any bodies, though. I think the rats just moved on to easier pickins. I still have a rat or two in the goat shed, but they're wood rats, and I kind of hate to kill them, so haven't gotten serious about it yet. When they really start to bug me, I'll get rid of them one way or another.

20. Deb&Al

Deb&Al Well-Known Member

we have a problem with rats by our chicken house. we're very careful with feeding the chickens and dont leave excess feed for nighttime raids by rats, but around the yard run there are holes in the ground going from the yard and up again into the chicken run. we know it's rats because one time my daughter left the lid off the metal garbage can, in the coop, where we have the feed, and the next day there was a rat in there that couldn't get back out.

we have cats, too, and they kill quite a bit of small game, and usually every day there is a "tidbit" left on the patio for us :) but, never a rat.

my concern, too, would be the chickens and the cats, not wanting to accidently poisen them. i'm going to try the water bucket and cola ideas, and see if we get anything.

debbie