Help! Big bloat flies are swarming my house.

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by r.h. in okla., Oct 5, 2005.

1. This morning I got up and put together a big Cabbage Caserole recipe in the dutch oven to cook all day. As soon as my kids got on the school bus I grabbed my 22 rifle and headed out the back door to do a little squirrel huntin. Just got back a little bit ago and at the front door there were big flies everywhere. All over the screen door and the window screens. I shooed as many flies away as possible and walked in the door and just about got knocked down by the smell of cabbage cooking. Stunk! I thought to myself it smells good but yet it does resemble something rotten. I guess that's why all the flies! I had left several windows open since the temps are a little cooler now days. I guess that attracted them from miles away.

2. moopups

moopups In Remembrance

In beautiful downtown Sticks, near Belleview, Fl.
    There are traps that use an attractant for about $7.00 at most feed stores, we finally stopped trying to catch them and got rid of the traps, they soon left.

3. Cyngbaeld

Cyngbaeld In Remembrance Supporter

rh, that is the reason I flat refuse to eat cabbage or anything in that family! The flies know. You best listen to em.

4. Well Cyng, I happen to be a cooked cabbage lover! I don't eat it too often as my kids turn their nose up at green stuff. However this evening when they came in from school they took one look at my cabbage caserole and said "Gross, I'm not gonna eat that". I made them take a bite and they loved it. They all went back for seconds.

5. tonasket

tonasket Well-Known Member

how about the recipe? tonasket

6. Qwispea

Qwispea Well-Known Member

Actually, eating cabbage is very beneficial to your health. Raw Cabbage is much healthier to eat than cooked cabbage.

7. Cheryl in SD

Cheryl in SD Living in the Hills Supporter

I am SO jealous. If all I had to do was stop cooking something and the flies would leave, I would be thrilled! We have wood flies. They started coming in 3 weeks ago and it is awful. I fogged for them Sunday, spent all day Monday cleaning them up, and today they are as bad as ever.

Cheryl

8. Here you go tonasket and whoever else wants to try it. It's called Cabbage & Beef casserole cooked in a crockpot.

1 1/2 lbs. ground beef

1 medium onion chopped

1 small head cabbage

2 cans diced tomatoes

1 can tomaoto sauce

1/2 - 1 tsp. cinnamon

salt and pepper to taste

About 2 cups cooked rice.

Brown beef with onions. Transfer to crockpot. Slice cabbage into small wedges; place over ground beef. Mix tomatoes, suace, and seasonings; pour over all. Cover & cook on low for 8 to 10 hours in crockpot. Serve over hot rice.

I mentioned in the first thread that I cooked it in a dutch oven. I meant to say crockpot. I guess I've been cooking outside in a dutch oven all summer long that I just have a habit of calling everything a dutch oven now.

9. rickd203

rickd203 Well-Known Member

Check out this web site: Pinnacle Farms "Muscovy ducks are unarguably the best all natural fly catchers."

You could also try spraying Diatomaceous Earth around areas where you suspect the flies are breeding.

10. tonasket

tonasket Well-Known Member

thanks, sounds very good, tonasket