Help, baby rabbits! Important...

Discussion in 'Rabbits' started by Lini, Dec 31, 2004.

1. Lini

Lini New Member

Hello...Some of you ladies might remember me...I was always asking questions about my old New Zealand black. She got stolen long ago and now her daughter(Half new zealand black & half black netherland dwarf) had babies today. We are not able to go to the store today, so i would like to know if it's okay to feed them something besides Goat or Cat milk...The mother is young, so she's not very good at taking care of them yet. I know that they can be given a little honey, but i don't know what else. If you can help me out, i'll appreicate it forever...You people have helped me so much.

God bless.

2. CountryGoalie

CountryGoalie Well-Known Member

How, exactly, is she "not taking care of them"? Did she not pull enough hair to cover them? Is she too worried by humans checking the box? Does she not seem to be nursing them enough?

Remember, in the wild, does usually only feed their babies twice a day. If you are worried about them nursing, just be sure to check their stomachs and see that they look full - you just might not be seeing her go into the nestbox to nurse them, is all.

If I knew anything about milk substitutes, I'd help you out on the subject, but... I don't. If this doesn't help, please give us more details to work with.

3. Lini

Lini New Member

Sorry...Well, she only feeds about half of them and most once a day and a few 2-3 times in 24 hours...When her mother was younger, she did the same thing, so we fed the ones that weren't eating much Goat Milk to make sure they lived. We're not able to travel today, so i would like to know what we can feed them(We have no goat milk).

Thanks

4. kell

kell Well-Known Member

I've heard of people milking thier does, but I've never tried it myself.
    KEL

5. Rosarybeads

Rosarybeads Well-Known Member

Sounds like they are fine on their own, I see no issues with her nursing habits. However, if you want, I know this sounds wierd, but baby food spinach is great for them, I believe my Mom used to put it in a syringe. They do really well on it, I've seen it myself...

6. JR05

JR05 Well-Known Member

In my book it says to give them baby formula if you have it. Also canned milk ( evaporated) will work in an emergency. Just remember 1-2 cc per kit. When you do get the goats milk mix both and then slowly reduce substitute. When they get their eyes open we just put a water bottle with goats milk in during the day and they can drink when ever. This helps put weight on them too.(just until they are 2 mos old)

jr05