Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 1 year old female beagle named Victory was fine all day today...my family and I went out for a few hours..putting her in her crate containing a pet bed and a blanket. We came home and we was ok for about an hour then all of the sudden began throwing up. We looked in her crate to see if we could find ne thing that may have caused it. She had ripped up her blanket and part of it was missing She pucked about 5 times in about 2 hours(most of which contained a cotton like substance which I assume WAS the blanket) and was eating snow (since there is obviously no grass). She quit throwing up about 2 hours but is now urinating alot and very often. She wines and before we can even get her to the door she pees on the floor. She is VERY well housebroken and this wouldnt just happen for no reason. Any help is greatly appreciated as to what this is and what I can do.

·
Premium Member
13,158 Posts
I'd rather have the mess than a blockage. I'd be tempted to feed a laxitive; however, a hands on look by the vet with samples of what was eaten is going to provide a better considered responce.

·
Registered
24,108 Posts
Has she thrown up any more? Has she pooped yet? How is she doing now...

·
Registered
3,990 Posts
I'm glad she's stopped (or at least slowed down) the vomiting. The vomiting probably dehydrated her somewhat and she has overcompenstated with the water. Happens to me when my dogs get an upset stomach and I know it's happened to several of my patients too. Unfortunately you will just have to work through the urinating. I wouldn't exactly restrict water to the pup but maybe only let her have a cup or two every 30 minutes or so-you don't want her drinking enough that she starts vomiting again.

As to the vomiting itself-restrict food until the afternoon or evening, then start with a small bland meal (boiled hamburger or chicken with cooked white rice, etc). If she's able to hold that down, then feed her several small meals over the next day or so and gradually work back to her normal diet and schedule.

If she's acting sick (very lethargic, no interest in anything, etc) she needs to get to a vet ASAP. If she's just kind of "off" I would personally wait until tomorrow and see how things are-sometimes things just have to work their way through. My general rule of thumb about going to the vet is waiting about 24 hours for uncomplicated vomiting (unless your dog is tiny or is a young puppy) and waiting 48 hours for uncomplicated diarrhea.

Go outside with her and watch when she potties. She might be a little bit "stopped up" depending on how much blanket she didn't manage to throw up, but she should poop within the next 12-24 hours. You need to be there to see this actually happening. If she hasn't pooped in 24 hours and isn't quite right, it's time for the vet-esp. if she is still vomiting at all.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks so much guys...I let her go overnight, taking her out when she whined and this morning she is doing much better. She's only peed ONCE..(which is what she USUALLY does) and she went poop last night. She isnt acting lethargic at all. her poop looked pretty normal as it seems that she's already vometed up most of the blanket. I'll keep and eye on her for the next few hours to be sure..but from what I can see all her symptoms are gone.

·
Enabler!
3,865 Posts
I also would recommmend a pinch of sauerkraut on her food for a few days. My friend's dog ate a 5 foot long by 6 inch wide piece of canvas from a dog toy. The vet told her to do that and it came back out. Not sure which way but it all came out in one whole piece about 2 days later.

·
Animal Addict
12,209 Posts
Thanks so much guys...I let her go overnight, taking her out when she whined and this morning she is doing much better. She's only peed ONCE..(which is what she USUALLY does) and she went poop last night. She isnt acting lethargic at all. her poop looked pretty normal as it seems that she's already vometed up most of the blanket. I'll keep and eye on her for the next few hours to be sure..but from what I can see all her symptoms are gone.

So glad she is recovering. How scary! Silly doggie!!!

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
hah tell me about it...this dog has become a master at scaring the crap out of us for things are MOSTLY turn out to be not much of anything since she was about 6 weeks old lol

1 - 10 of 10 Posts