Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
These r on our house,some came in the bathroom window,dh killed those...then it looked like a million swarming...he only sprayed the few inside and flushed them so no pics...didn't disturb them outside but said he's heard they do this when they move....don't want to spray if they're. Honeybees,what to do ?

Attachments

·
Registered
6,537 Posts
No, they are not aggressive at this time. They have nothing to protect - they are just moving into a new home and don't have any honey.

Sadly, these bees have just committed suicide. There is no way for them to build comb and get enough honey stored for them to survive the winter with you being in Ohio.

At this point, I'd be surprised if there is any beekeeper that would want these this late in the year.

I would suggest you watch what they are using as an entrance, and once they die over the winter, in early April close their entrance and get everything caulked up. They will eat through what little honey they do make and you won't have to worry about any mess from oozing honey.

But you will have to close up the entrance (and any other entrances) early next April, or you will end up with a new swarm moving in.

·
Premium Member
2,812 Posts
I agree that they will not be able to survive the winter. I do not see any advantage to waiting for them to winter kill. They will likely live long enough to build comb and set up housekeeping. That could be problematic inside of a house. I do not normally advocate killing honeybees, but if you can't find a local beekeeper that wants to try and combine them with one of their hives I'd go ahead and get rid of them.

·
Registered
841 Posts
Find your local bee keeper society and give them a call most of the time they will come remove the bees for free
if that fails call animal control or an extenuator

·
in memoriam
12,697 Posts
As a bee keeper my self I would say since you already sprayed them to just finish the job I don't want to waste my time with a swarm that's been sprayed.

:D Al

1 - 12 of 12 Posts