Help, apple tree won't stop blooming!!

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by quailkeeper, Oct 3, 2005.

1. quailkeeper

quailkeeper Well-Known Member

I have an apple tree that bloomed last fall because of the weird weather we had. We didn't do anything and the blooms never developed fruit. Now its blooming again. We didn't have weird weather like last year, in fact we're still in a drought and temps in the 85-90 range. What should I do? None of my other fruit trees are doing this. Oh and last year was the first time it bloomed, they were planted 4 years ago.

2. birdie_poo

birdie_poo Well-Known Member

Do you know what kind it is? I live in CA and mine bloom almost constantly. I can have 3 seperate 'generations' of apples going at one time.

3. quailkeeper

It is a dwarf Granny Smith. This is not normal at all for this area (arkansas). All of the fruit trees bloom in early spring. In fact, we should start getting our frosts at the end of this month. :shrug:

4. woodspirit

woodspirit Well-Known Member

I've seen this in nurseries when the weather is way too warm. Not just in apple trees but in dogwoods, bradford pears etc. It is't a good thing. The first year it didn't have much impact but the second year most of the trees died that flowered late. Bear in mind though that this was in upstate ny.

5. BeckyW

BeckyW Well-Known Member

I can second what Birdie Poo says about apples in southern California. We had an Anna Apple tree that bloomed twice a year and bore apples from each bloom. It also started bearing only 2 years after planting.

It could be the tree you have is tolerant of a much colder climate zone - and Arkansas feels like the tropics to it! Enjoy the phenomenon! :happy:

6. quailkeeper

Ok, I think everyone confused what I was saying. The apple tree will not bloom in the spring. It blooms in the late fall not making apples, I would guess it has to cross polinate? Either that or the frost burns them before they turn. The cold weather is coming, 45 tomorrow. What should I do with these blooms so that my tree will bloom in the spring? Last year I left them alone and it didn't bloom this spring.

7. Cara

Cara Well-Known Member

After I read this post, I noticed that mine is doing it too. I am in western OR and it is really not normal. I was wondering about maybe pruning early?

8. quailkeeper

I've been picking the buds off to try and discourage it. I wasn't aware that apple trees should be pruned at all?