HELP...Advice NEEDED.

Discussion in 'Goats' started by SurvivalistMom, Jan 3, 2006.

1. SurvivalistMom

SurvivalistMom Member

I need advice. Our goat has recently left on a 2 day, trip... :( , after hours of searching, and since it was the holiday, the animal officer wasnt in. We found out the she was finally picked up by a wonderful Sheriff's officer, and taken to a farm nearby. We Finally have her back... :) .

After my Rambling there, I wanted advice on fencing. AS she has jumped the fence we had twice. Please help.

Thank you.

2. susanne

susanne Nubian dairy goat breeder

most people make the mistake and set the fence too low. they unvoluntarily train there goats to jump the fence.
    you need at least 4,5' high fence if she is already a jumper i would go 6'.
    how long do you have this goat? what does the previous owner say?

3. ozark_jewels

ozark_jewels Well-Known Member Supporter

What type of fence was it and did she go straight over or did she climb/jump?? How tall is the fence you have now??

4. TexCountryWoman

TexCountryWoman Gig'em

Is she a lone goat? Perhaps a companion goat would convince her that staying home is not so bad. Another doe maybe...Diane R.

5. Sweet Goats

Sweet Goats Cashmere goats

I had a wether that jumped my 6' fence, so I put a hot wire on the top. Well he jumped that also, so I had to sell him. Hopefully you won't have to go that far.

6. SurvivalistMom

SurvivalistMom Member

Thank you all.. I am sorry that it has taken me a bit to write back. We have been fixing "Goat's" (thats what the kids named her) area. We had a 5 foot fence, went to about 8' now. If she jumps that, I will call Genesis. :rolleyes:
    We are getting her a companion tonight. So hopefully she will be happier.

Thank you all again.

~MOM~ :sing:

7. Helena

Helena Well-Known Member

Over the years we have had a few..jumpers..too. If we can't solve it by tossing them back over the fence we come to the point of having to sell them too. I feel as if one knows they can get away with it..they all will start doing it too. Since our garden is very near the barn and goats I can't afford the $$$ or my hard work just to have our goats snack on our food. In fact..we went over to friends of ours one night for a bar-b-que and during the dinner I mentioned how good the meat was..His reply was.."yep..that goat just jumped that fence once too often"..You guessed it..we were eating her !! But it was good and that is live on a homestead I suppose !! :sing: