Help! Accidently placed a poison ivy/oak berry in my mouth.

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by r.h. in okla., Sep 20, 2005.

1. What will happen to me? I thought I was picking a wild grape berry but instead it was from a ivy vine that was growing along with the grape vine. I first noticed it didn't have any taste to it so I spit the pulp and all out. May have swallowed very little juice from it. Upon closer examination I noticed it was from a different vine. I immediatly came back to the house and rinsed my mouth out with scope. (all I could find) It's been about 15 minutes and I haven't noticed any bumps or swelling on my tongue yet.

2. Forgot to add. I'm not normally too allergic to poison ivy and such but do get it once in a while. I usually don't worry about it when working around or in the stuff. But have never eaten it before.

3. mamajohnson

mamajohnson Knitting Rocks! Supporter

EEEEgads!!! my sympathy to you.... If I were you I would take a dose of benadryl. just as a precaution. Maybe call the poison hotline and see what they say. are you allergic to poison ivy? How sensitive are you?? that is what will really tell how you react. If my son did this he would probably die, he has severe reactions to poison ivy. If I did it, I would just take some benadryl, as I barely react to it.... just depends.
    good luck!

4. mamajohnson

mamajohnson Knitting Rocks! Supporter

guess you posted again about the same time I did, since your not too allergic, go take some benadryl. It should help curb any reaction. (you will probably end up taking a nap too,,,, voluntarily or not....)

5. Hummingbird

Hummingbird Well-Known Member

6. Well hummingbird I didn't see anything on that website about what to do if you eat any. So I just decided to see what happens to me and if it looks or feels like something is about to take place then I will go to the hospital. Well, so far, 8 1/2 hours later, I haven't changed any. No blisters, no upset tummy, no headaches, no nothing. So I guess I'm not allergic to poison ivy berries. Thanks for the help anyway.

7. agmantoo

agmantoo agmantoo Supporter

I have read that native americans would swallow a poison oak leaf and build an immunity to the effects of the plant. Maybe you will have such luck! I would be more concerned with the exposure to the hands and lips. Did you wash thoroughly after the exposure?

8. jillianjiggs

jillianjiggs Well-Known Member

If you wake up feeling like heck, I'd call the doctor for a nice dose of prednisone. :) It'll knock it out pretty quickly.

9. ajaxlucy

ajaxlucy Well-Known Member Supporter

That's the scariest story I've heard in a while! I'm very allergic to poison ivy, but I don't break out until a day or two after exposure, so you may not develop a problem until later in the week. It might help to clean your lips and the skin around your mouth with Technu or rubbing alcohol. At the first sign of swelling of your tongue or throat, seek medical attention!

10. NYhomesteadr

NYhomesteadr Active Member

Call the poison control center 1-800-222-1222 or call the emergency room at the nearest hospital

11. Bob_W_in_NM

Bob_W_in_NM Well-Known Member

Gee, in an earlier post, you said your kids were "accident prone". I wonder where they picked that up from? Sounds like it's time to collect your "Darwin Award".

Yep, I'd call the poison control center and see what they say.

12. DrippingSprings

DrippingSprings In Remembrance

Get to the emergency room asap and get a huge dose of benadryl or one of those steroid shots.

I had an aunt that was coming home from drinking at a club with her husband and had to go really bad. He pulled off the side of the road and she took a leak. Unbeknown to her she squatted in poison oak while she using the bathroom. Talk about a case of the ''red a**"

13. gardentalk

gardentalk Well-Known Member

Have you started to itch from the inside-out? :nana:

14. brosil

brosil Well-Known Member Supporter

I don't think the active ingredient is in the berry. It's usually in the leaf. If you haven't developed a reaction so far, you probably won't.

15. Oggie

Oggie Waste of bandwidth Supporter

Not to be to indelicate, but I've read that the poison Ivy reaction is usually limited to skin cells and will not cause a reaction in the digestive track beyond perhaps the mouth or the throat unless a larger amount is ingested. The problem is that contact with urushiol, the oil that causes the reaction, by any skin at either end of your digestive system might cause a reaction. Because you've said you aren't allergic, there shouldn't be a problem. If you ain't itching where you're sitting, you're probably safe.

Here's part of what I found on this site:
    http://www.tennessean.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20050827/FEATURES0302/508270303/1407

"Contact with human skin causes an allergic reaction that appears 24-72 hours later in the form of red patches and small bumps that may be shiny and ultimately blister, said Dr. Stephen Glinick, a clinical associate professor in dermatology at Brown University. ...
    Some people think eating the plant itself will build immunity.
    Glinick does not recommend that approach. The oils can irritate the mouth and throat and also the skin when the remnants of the leaves that have been swallowed "come back out," he said.

16. Well it has now been over 24 hours since I bit down on the tempting little berry. So far nothing unless lazyness is a sympton! Be my luck I'll get it where it passes on through! :mad:

17. Explorer

Explorer Well-Known Member Supporter

Just because you have not had a reaction, don't run out and pick a bunch for your ice-cream. :D

18. longshadowfarms

longshadowfarms Well-Known Member

I believe the reaction occurs 36-48 hrs later...

19. coso

coso Well-Known Member Supporter

Wonder what happens when it comes out the other end

20. Hummingbird

Hummingbird Well-Known Member

I am SO TRYING to behave myself here! LOL