Help! Accidently placed a poison ivy/oak berry in my mouth.

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by r.h. in okla., Sep 20, 2005.

  1. What will happen to me? I thought I was picking a wild grape berry but instead it was from a ivy vine that was growing along with the grape vine. I first noticed it didn't have any taste to it so I spit the pulp and all out. May have swallowed very little juice from it. Upon closer examination I noticed it was from a different vine. I immediatly came back to the house and rinsed my mouth out with scope. (all I could find) It's been about 15 minutes and I haven't noticed any bumps or swelling on my tongue yet.
     
  2. Forgot to add. I'm not normally too allergic to poison ivy and such but do get it once in a while. I usually don't worry about it when working around or in the stuff. But have never eaten it before.
     

  3. mamajohnson

    mamajohnson Knitting Rocks! Supporter

    Messages:
    5,783
    Joined:
    Nov 27, 2002
    Location:
    North East Texas
    EEEEgads!!! my sympathy to you.... If I were you I would take a dose of benadryl. just as a precaution. Maybe call the poison hotline and see what they say. are you allergic to poison ivy? How sensitive are you?? that is what will really tell how you react. If my son did this he would probably die, he has severe reactions to poison ivy. If I did it, I would just take some benadryl, as I barely react to it.... just depends.
    good luck!
     
  4. mamajohnson

    mamajohnson Knitting Rocks! Supporter

    Messages:
    5,783
    Joined:
    Nov 27, 2002
    Location:
    North East Texas
    guess you posted again about the same time I did, since your not too allergic, go take some benadryl. It should help curb any reaction. (you will probably end up taking a nap too,,,, voluntarily or not....)
     
  5. Hummingbird

    Hummingbird Well-Known Member

    Messages:
    949
    Joined:
    Aug 21, 2002
    Location:
    Missouri
  6. Well hummingbird I didn't see anything on that website about what to do if you eat any. So I just decided to see what happens to me and if it looks or feels like something is about to take place then I will go to the hospital. Well, so far, 8 1/2 hours later, I haven't changed any. No blisters, no upset tummy, no headaches, no nothing. So I guess I'm not allergic to poison ivy berries. Thanks for the help anyway.
     
  7. agmantoo

    agmantoo agmantoo Supporter

    Messages:
    10,855
    Joined:
    May 22, 2003
    Location:
    Zone 7
    I have read that native americans would swallow a poison oak leaf and build an immunity to the effects of the plant. Maybe you will have such luck! I would be more concerned with the exposure to the hands and lips. Did you wash thoroughly after the exposure?
     
  8. jillianjiggs

    jillianjiggs Well-Known Member

    Messages:
    550
    Joined:
    May 13, 2003
    If you wake up feeling like heck, I'd call the doctor for a nice dose of prednisone. :) It'll knock it out pretty quickly.
     
  9. ajaxlucy

    ajaxlucy Well-Known Member Supporter

    Messages:
    3,799
    Joined:
    Jul 17, 2004
    Location:
    Indiana
    That's the scariest story I've heard in a while! I'm very allergic to poison ivy, but I don't break out until a day or two after exposure, so you may not develop a problem until later in the week. It might help to clean your lips and the skin around your mouth with Technu or rubbing alcohol. At the first sign of swelling of your tongue or throat, seek medical attention!
     
  10. NYhomesteadr

    NYhomesteadr Active Member

    Messages:
    29
    Joined:
    Jun 7, 2005
    Call the poison control center 1-800-222-1222 or call the emergency room at the nearest hospital
     
  11. Bob_W_in_NM

    Bob_W_in_NM Well-Known Member

    Messages:
    199
    Joined:
    Sep 28, 2003
    Location:
    New Mexico
    Gee, in an earlier post, you said your kids were "accident prone". I wonder where they picked that up from? Sounds like it's time to collect your "Darwin Award".

    Yep, I'd call the poison control center and see what they say.
     
  12. DrippingSprings

    DrippingSprings In Remembrance

    Messages:
    1,947
    Joined:
    Sep 22, 2004
    Location:
    Alabama
    Get to the emergency room asap and get a huge dose of benadryl or one of those steroid shots.

    I had an aunt that was coming home from drinking at a club with her husband and had to go really bad. He pulled off the side of the road and she took a leak. Unbeknown to her she squatted in poison oak while she using the bathroom. Talk about a case of the ''red a**"
     
  13. gardentalk

    gardentalk Well-Known Member

    Messages:
    296
    Joined:
    May 30, 2005
    Have you started to itch from the inside-out? :nana:
     
  14. brosil

    brosil Well-Known Member Supporter

    Messages:
    1,135
    Joined:
    Dec 15, 2003
    Location:
    Ohio
    I don't think the active ingredient is in the berry. It's usually in the leaf. If you haven't developed a reaction so far, you probably won't.
     
  15. Oggie

    Oggie Waste of bandwidth Supporter

    Messages:
    10,618
    Joined:
    May 29, 2003
    Location:
    OK
    Not to be to indelicate, but I've read that the poison Ivy reaction is usually limited to skin cells and will not cause a reaction in the digestive track beyond perhaps the mouth or the throat unless a larger amount is ingested. The problem is that contact with urushiol, the oil that causes the reaction, by any skin at either end of your digestive system might cause a reaction. Because you've said you aren't allergic, there shouldn't be a problem. If you ain't itching where you're sitting, you're probably safe.

    Here's part of what I found on this site:
    http://www.tennessean.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20050827/FEATURES0302/508270303/1407

    "Contact with human skin causes an allergic reaction that appears 24-72 hours later in the form of red patches and small bumps that may be shiny and ultimately blister, said Dr. Stephen Glinick, a clinical associate professor in dermatology at Brown University. ...
    Some people think eating the plant itself will build immunity.
    Glinick does not recommend that approach. The oils can irritate the mouth and throat and also the skin when the remnants of the leaves that have been swallowed "come back out," he said.
     
  16. Well it has now been over 24 hours since I bit down on the tempting little berry. So far nothing unless lazyness is a sympton! Be my luck I'll get it where it passes on through! :mad:
     
  17. Explorer

    Explorer Well-Known Member Supporter

    Messages:
    2,644
    Joined:
    Dec 1, 2003
    Location:
    Far West in the White Mountains, Arizona
    Just because you have not had a reaction, don't run out and pick a bunch for your ice-cream. :D
     
  18. longshadowfarms

    longshadowfarms Well-Known Member

    Messages:
    4,528
    Joined:
    Nov 26, 2002
    Location:
    Alaska
    I believe the reaction occurs 36-48 hrs later...
     
  19. coso

    coso Well-Known Member Supporter

    Messages:
    1,328
    Joined:
    Feb 24, 2004
    Location:
    Missouri
    Wonder what happens when it comes out the other end
     
  20. Hummingbird

    Hummingbird Well-Known Member

    Messages:
    949
    Joined:
    Aug 21, 2002
    Location:
    Missouri

    I am SO TRYING to behave myself here! LOL