Help, abscess or mastitis or ??

Discussion in 'Rabbits' started by Kumi_Ori, Apr 8, 2005.

  1. Kumi_Ori

    Kumi_Ori Active Member

    Messages:
    41
    Joined:
    Aug 29, 2004
    Help! I have never seen either condition. I have a doe with kits that
    will be 4 weeks old on Saturday that has a round swelling on her side.
    The swelling is about the size of my thumb from joint to tip, is hard,
    located on the outside side of a nipple, and has a redish scab like
    spot on the top. What do you think it is? I think it is more of an
    abscess but I am not sure. How does a person treat either condition?
    Should I pull the kits off of her? Can they be weaned now? Will the
    doe recover and can she be bred again?
    Thanks for your help.
    :waa:
     
  2. Rancher

    Rancher Well-Known Member

    Messages:
    56
    Joined:
    Oct 13, 2004
    Location:
    Louisiana
    Kristi,
    I am far from an expert on rabbits. I now have only 20 does and 5 buck now. But I think I have seen what your talking about. My friends have 300 does and she has had a problem with what you are describing. After trying all kinds of remedies such as lancing, meds, and etc. the only thing that worked was to have a very agressive fly control. Wait, dont panic. This may not be the problem you have and here is what caused the problem. There is a fly I believe that lays a larve in the skin. Before it hatches the knot has no head. Once the larve hatches it exits through a hole it bores and creates the redish scab you see. Now for the good news. Most of her rabbits with this problem survived. Except for the ones with severe cases. She put alittle med on the scabs and it was fine. The babies were kept on the does and they all would survive. I found a web site that had the write up on it and gave it to her and I'll see if I can find it again. Fly control is the way to minimize the problem. Ever since she has started this pratice there has been no more problems. Now I may be corrected on this and I usually dont give advice due to my lack of know-how but I noticed you had no replies as of yet and I know how you feel when you need help, just about anything will help. I hope this helps and good luck. If I can find the report and post it for you.
    Rancher
     

  3. Tucker

    Tucker Well-Known Member

    Messages:
    321
    Joined:
    Jan 4, 2005
    Location:
    NC
    Hi ,, I have never had this happen with any of my does either ,, that said ,,

    I would leave the kits with her as long as possible ,, for their sake and hers ,, if you take them away too quick and her milk cakes up in all her teats ,, then you have another problem ,,,,,

    How many kits does she have ?? I would maybe start weaning at 5 1/2 - 6 wks ,, take the 2 biggest kits away on the 1st day ,,, then every 3rd / 4th day take 1 more away ,, since shes under stress anyhow ,, this will help her milk production slow and dry up ,, hoping to avoid her milk caking up ,,,

    I do this with every litter I wean from my does just in case ,, hoping to avoid teat problems ( I have been told by experts that 'they' take the whole litter in one swoop and have no problems) but ,, I figure since I'm breeding just for us ,, I can take that time weaning away kits ,, just in case ,, lol

    I normally rebreed at 6 weeks and start weaning at 7 so my does useually have 2 free weeks before birthing again ,,

    =======

    what I have read that others do with an abcess or if 1 teat is affected is use hot/warm wetish packs on the affected area ,, (hot water / washrag / squeeze most of water out , try to have her lie still and hold to the affected area , repeat) this might make it come to a 'head' ,, (making it easier to lance maybe??) I've read where lanceing an abcess ,, cleaning well ,, and a course of antibotics can help cleaning it up ,,

    If you clear up the spot/lump and she seems otherwise healthy I see no reason why she couldn't be rebred ,, but if it comes back again ,, I would consider culling ,,
     
  4. dlwelch

    dlwelch Well-Known Member

    Messages:
    831
    Joined:
    Aug 25, 2002
    Location:
    Central Texas
    It sounds as though the doe may have had mastitis. Forming an abcess
    is the body's way of dealing with the infection. If the infection covers
    a large area.........which hers apparently doesn't........I usually cull the
    doe. With only a small area involved, she is usually capable of raising
    another litter in most cases.

    It sounds as though the abcess is past the stage where it can be
    lanced and drained. Eventually this abcess will slough off. One
    day you will find a piece of dried *meat* in the cage where it
    has dropped off. I have seen several cases of mastitis and have
    never lanced and drained.

    NOTE: Without actually seeing the rabbit, it might be difficult to
    diagnose. My diagnosis is based on my past experience only.

    I have weaned thousands of kits at 28 days. They do fine. In fact,
    the doe may have them weaned already if she had a mammary infection.
    Do you see them nursing?

    Good luck. I hope things go okay.

    Linda Welch
    http://www.texasrabbitconnection.com
    http://www.texasrabbitconnection.com/forums/
     
  5. Kumi_Ori

    Kumi_Ori Active Member

    Messages:
    41
    Joined:
    Aug 29, 2004
    Well, I broke down and took her to the vet. The vet says it is a
    TUMOR. After much discussion we decided to give an antibiotic to her
    that is safe for the kits. This should take care of any secondary
    infection from the ulceration of the tumor and allow us to give the
    kits 2 more weeks with her.:p Once they are weaned we will probably have
    to put her down since we cannot afford the surgery to remove it at
    $125+. :waa: The vet did encourage us to use hot compresses in the hopes
    that the increased blood flow would cause the tumor to shrink and be
    reabsorbed.
    I am greatly relieved that it is not an abscess or mastitis. Not an
    infection oozing with pasturella!
    Anyway, we are still hoping to save the doe and glad we will be able
    to raise the litter. Thanks for the advice and concern.