Homesteading Forum banner

21 - 40 of 44 Posts

·
Super Moderator
9,258 Posts
things are definitely different in CA than most of the US in the US teen girls walk around with personal size pepper spray around their necks and in any National park or hiking area that may be around bears bear spray is the choice.

Law enforcement is extremely forgiving in the carry and use of pepper spray for anything that could be considered self defense , if it wasn't a vindictive use , if it wasn't used to disable a victim of robbery and the user had any reasonable fear of harm.

technically peppers spray is a weapon basically the same as carrying a gun in most places in the US as the law applies in reality 13-14 year old girls walk down the street with a personal pepper spray around their neck on a lanyard in the US you can buy it at nearly every hardware store convenience store sporting goods or big box store.

the personal ones only reach a few feet

I would every time you see one start calling it in report dog at large , if they com close and get aggressive take a picture with your phone start the dialog now with police so that when you have to do something more it is well recorded the problem offenders.

·
Premium Member
24,253 Posts
Joe Biden told his wife to fire into the air, probably hoping his secret service body guards would then consider her the threat and take her out. I have believed that was his intent since he made that idiotic statement.

I never considered paint balls could be possible animal abuse or harassment. In Ohio, last I read, you had to be doing something to a dog that was on it's property. But then Ohio has a state wide leash law and nuisance animal laws which would protect a person who shoots roaming dogs with paint balls.

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
thanks, everyone!

to clear things up...Biden didn't tell me to fire anything in the air, LMAO!
I think I was thinking of a flare gun/starter pistol type thing with scaring off the strays. That's where the "firing in the air" came from.

as to the fence, I rent. my two are boundary trained and very reliable. it's not them, it's the strays.

I already had it out with animal control once since I moved here. they were quite less than helpful, so this is why I'm solving the issue myself.

agreed on the bear/wasp spray. I already keep that in my vehicle as a deterrent. I can definitely do that as a beginning step. rubber bullets/the other paintballs sound worth investigating as well.

I do appreciate all who replied sincerely trying to help me out. thank you kindly!! :D

Peace,
Kyrie, Tao Blue SD AKC CGC CGCA CGCU TKN PAT, Deja Blue SD AKC CGC CGCU TKN PAT

·
Premium Member
24,253 Posts
I don't know about a flare gun. That might cause more problems.

I did not know they use starter pistols with blanks for training dogs. That just might be an option.

Too bad you can't set up an electric fence with a remote on/off switch. Flip it on when you see the dogs coming. I bet they wouldn't bother you again.

Unfortunately not every state has leash laws. Your state leaves dog control up to each little govt entity. Good luck solving the problem.

·
Registered
711 Posts
Renting isn't really a reason to not have fence. A few t posts and cheap welded wire is easy to do and you can pull it up when you move. I've put fencing in at 2 rented places now.

·
Registered
390 Posts
It sounds like great ideas have been brought up! I wanted to bring up the carcass disposal factor. If you do create a carcass,it will have to be removed,buried. There is the three S rule, but if digging a hole is an issue,maybe the pepper spray or one of the other options would work.

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
What needs to be fenced is WAY too large for my budget, and I would have to hire it out, so it's moot. I did the t post/wire fence for my lots in FL and it cost me $800 and $1000 respectively between the supplies and labor. Believe me, I would prefer that rather than the rest of this.

I'm a fan of the SSS rule ;) It looks like I have plenty of options to work on now so I'm hoping it won't come down to that.!

·
Registered
711 Posts
What needs to be fenced is WAY too large for my budget, and I would have to hire it out, so it's moot. I did the t post/wire fence for my lots in FL and it cost me $800 and $1000 respectively between the supplies and labor. Believe me, I would prefer that rather than the rest of this.

I'm a fan of the SSS rule ;) It looks like I have plenty of options to work on now so I'm hoping it won't come down to that.!
Why does the entirety of the property need to be fenced for a pair of dogs? You can just fence in a yard area to let the dogs enjoy without strays invading

I'm not trying to be mean, really. But doesn't it make more sense to put a fence up before harassing other people's dogs? This heads off potential legal problems as well. I can't imagine you'd be too popular within your community for hazing other people's dogs, stray or not. Especially without so much as making an effort to exclude the dogs with fencing. Today's society is very intolerant of that sort of thing.

·
Registered
351 Posts
I would every time you see one start calling it in report dog at large , if they com close and get aggressive take a picture with your phone start the dialog now with police so that when you have to do something more it is well recorded the problem offenders.
+++
Yes... Good documentation with police over a period of time is golden, IF, WHEN it comes to finely getting an issue resolved..

Reactions: kinnb

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
@Wyobuckaroo exactly my plan! caught three strays in the front yard this morning and hollered em off before anything got stupid, video as well.

@RJ2019 I hear every point you've made so far. I'm not out to harass, just keep everything as safe as I can while allowing my dogs their space in their own yard. I really can't afford the fence, which is why, in my OP, I made that "not an option" clear. If I could, I would never have even started this thread. it's not a question of "hazing." owners do need to take responsibility for their own animals, and they clearly are not, so all I can do is keep mine safe. (I'm not trying to be difficult or mean either, and we may just have to agree to disagree! :) )

Peace,

·
Registered
6,872 Posts
Tazer works too. You can let the little blue sparks crackle a little, and they will keep their distance.

Reactions: kinnb

·
Premium Member
24,253 Posts
If other people's dogs are harassing the op, the op has the right to protect themselves and their dogs. What gives other people the right to let their dogs roam uncontrolled and tear up and crap in other people's yards?

·
Super Moderator
9,258 Posts
If other people's dogs are harassing the op, the op has the right to protect themselves and their dogs. What gives other people the right to let their dogs roam uncontrolled and tear up and crap in other people's yards?
no argument she has the right in my mind , but there are places where exercising your rights in this country now come with an up hill battle to justify yourself.

your life can be verbally threatened , then you are chased down , fall to the ground and an already convinced felon try and take the gun from your hands and you shoot him to keep that from happening and he dies and because he wasn't equally armed your sitting in jail defending a first degree intentional homicide charge. crazy mixed up times we live in.

·
Premium Member
24,253 Posts
You have a good point. Defending yourself against a person is a road to trouble. Even with proof the other person was trying to kill you. Even standing in your own yard with a gun when faced by a crowd of protesters will get you in serious trouble.

The op has said these are stray dogs, no owners. But even so, there are bleeding hearts that think a rabid dog is worth more than a human life.

It is sad that you almost have to have a lawyer on retainer that can advise you about how to protect yourself from a stray dog on your own property.

·
Super Moderator
9,258 Posts
honest to god stray dogs , don't live all that long , I am willing to wager someone is feeding at least some of these dogs and many may call them their dog.

when the "stray dogs" were in my Grandpas pigs eating some of them alive they recognized a few of the dogs from area farms. no one said a word about or they would have been buying pigs

it was farily common for farm dogs in the 1980s in our area to be there when the owner walked out the door in the morning and when he walked in the door in the morning but off on their own in between.

funny they made a law here around the late 80s you couldn't shoot a dog chasing a deer , why because it was getting so common for a pack of dogs to run a deer down, people were shooting them left and right , the owners would get all mad that there dog was shot. stupid but only a warden can now shoot a dog chasing deer.

·
Premium Member
24,253 Posts
I was sure I had read it was legal in Ohio to shoot dogs that were chasing deer but now I can't find the regulation. Maybe the law was changed in Ohio too. I did find a story where a hunter did shoot dogs running deer on his property. That didn't turn out well for the hunter.

But it is legal in Ohio to kill a dog that is menacing a person or livestock or domestic animal other than a cat or another dog.

The op is not located in Ohio. I do not know the laws regarding roaming dogs in their area.

Unfortunately, even if you do everything by the book, someone can still press charges or sue you for the loss of their beloved pet. Even if they really did not own or care for the beloved pet.

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
@Danaus29 all of what you and @GREENCOUNTYPETE just discussed. That's why my first thing is to scare them off, and all of you gave great feedback as to how to do that. Really not out to do hurt or worse UNLESS there's an attack.

also thinking about game cams out there just as a CYA if push came to shove. takes the hassle out of having to manage dogs/deterrent plus phone.

Peace,

21 - 40 of 44 Posts