Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
heyas, HT hive mind! so it's been over a decade since I've been physically around any guns or owned one. (not averse, I have involuntary tremors that make things difficult and possibly unsafe.)

that said, I'm currently living in KY with no leash laws. we have strays allllllllllllllll the time. I need to scare them off, as I have two service dogs, who have been trained not to engage, but it's not all up to them if poo hits the wind tunnel.

what's a decent airgun, hand only, not a rifle/cartridge/air pump, or something like it, that I can fire into the air?

any ideas kindly appreciated. also, a fence is not an option right now. I'm always out with my pups when they are out, and I check before we go out, but even so, no guarantees.

thanks! :D

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
it's to scare the strays off. I've had guns before, just not since I developed the tremors. I'm not out to hurt the strays, just to scare them off.

thanks for the input!

·
Premium Member
24,253 Posts
PEPPER SPRAY

A few problems with your plan:
1) Air guns can be as dangerous as a regular gun.
2) Air guns don't make much noise and may not scare the dogs.
3) Pellets fired in the air have to come down. Shooting pellets at their feet would be more effective.

Pepper spray won't injure them but it will make them think twice about harassing you and your dogs. Just circle them around so the pepper spray is blowing away from you.

Edited to correct #2

·
Registered
22 Posts
A cheap .22 cal air rifle in the $140 range will be VERY loud without a pellet but unless you're on your own land I wouldn't walk around cavalierly with one. There is no danger from pellets or bbs falling back to earth but I'd shoot into the ground to avoid any danger of accidentally shooting towards something you aren't aware of. I have less experience with newer air pistols but the modern air rifles I've shot sound almost like a gunpowder rifle going off without the sonic boom.

If it's your own land, I dont see a problem with one but you need to be aware that modern air rifles shot at a dog are capable of killing it or injuring it badly. The pepper spray might be more effective but honestly I'd carry a 22lr and actually shoot the dog if it turns very brutal and is attacking yours on your land. Sounds like you need a 22lr or 22 mag pistol. Shooting the ground is fine. If you have handicaps or are physically impaired I would carry and not hesitate to shoot the dog in a bad situation.

·
Registered
6,872 Posts
Sonic dog repellents are highly effective.

Reactions: kinnb

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
@Danaus29 I am indeed also considering pepper spray! thank you, and I appreciate your caveats :)

@wil14 I'll take the 22lr under advisement, and yes, I don't want to hurt the strays unless they attack, then all bets are off ;)

@barnbilder hadn't considered that, will check into it!

knew I could count on the HT hive mind!! open to more ideas, products, etc if anyone else has anything. thanks so much!

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
@Gayle in KY oh.my.dog. DUH. have no idea why that didn't even cross my mind chalks that up to the brain damage That can definitely be an easy starting point, at least for the deterrent factor. Thank you! :)

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
@67drake yeah, I think I would really only want to shoot them as a last resort IF they attacked. I would like the option to have one just in case it does come down to that. agreed that the air horn makes the most sense first. I can't do firecrackers around my older dog, unfortunately (the younger one doesn't care, lol).

so it sounds like the best plan is an airhorn and then start looking for the aforementioned 22 as my oh shizz backup.

y'all are the best!

·
Super Moderator
9,258 Posts
when you can shoot a dog varies from jurisdiction to jurisdiction in some you would basically have to place yourself between the stray dog and your dogs and if it got aggressive with you to the point you feared serious injury if you didn't shoot.

our mail man states the air horn works the best USPS employees are not allowed to carry weapons at all

so when my neighbor started working for the Census he gave her one of the small air horns

I would try that first

what is around your house , how far to the next house are real things to think about

any time you shoot ,shooting down so that the bullet impacts the ground on a miss if you hit a rock you can still get a ricochet.

a shotgun with #4 shot will kill dogs at close range but has very little ricochet danger.

a gun will be loud ,are you still going to have issues with your older dog.

if you are not shooting the dogs to stop them from harming you or your dogs then it probably isn't the right option for you.

·
Premium Member
24,253 Posts
I'll correct my statement, air rifles don't make a lot of noise. This site gives decible levels of several air guns,

If you let off a blast with the air horn would you be harming or scaring your dogs?
Firecrackers, unless you have time to set one off on the ground and back away they would be dangerous and might not work like you want. Firecrackers are not safe if they go off in your hand. Maybe you could use those snappers that pop when they hit the ground instead?

You might try a paintball gun. It stings and notifies you of repeat offenders.

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
@GREENCOUNTYPETE Tao doesn't seem to care about gunshots, never has...firecrackers are another story, go figure, hehe. I'm def buying an airhorn next store trip. will take all you said into consideration.

@Danaus29 well, there is that, the paintball gun, also something I hadn't considered. I'll check that too! Both dogs have been exposed to airhorns with generally a quick startle and recover, so I think they'll be ok. we absolutely will work on that as soon as we have one in our possession. thanks for that link also!

·
Registered
929 Posts
I use an air horn to scare my neighbor's dogs. Dollar General has them and they're cheap (like around a buck)
Air horns' volume is well into "permanent hearing damage" territory, for both you and the dog. If your ears don't hurt when you blast it, it's because your hearing has already declined some, which would seem to make it important not to jeopardize what you still have.

I had a paper route when I was a kid. There were always 1 or 2 dogs I just couldn't make friends with. So I carried a cap pistol that used the round plastic caps that are a little louder than the paper roll caps. One shot from that, and they never bothered me again.

·
Super Moderator
9,258 Posts
Paint balls may work well but could be considered harassments also I get your a dog person but people could easily miss understand the dog they let roam freely and are breaking multiple laws returns home with several paint splats , now the police are out looking for the animal abuser who is shooting dogs with a paint ball gun you could keep your paint balls in the freezer they hurt more this way and don't often splatter.or maybe find a rubber ammo

rubber buck shot might be an option

if you watch some of the riots one of the more effective tools was CS ball guns

basically it is a 68 caliber paint ball marker rather than 63cal that shoots pepper balls a powder inside a capsule when it hits a person puffs and it is a very targetable longer range way to dispense tear gas or pepper powder.

LifeLite - Introducing Potent Non-Lethal Protection. this company makes some personal CS ball guns that look like flash lights

cs ball would not leave a splat but it may leave powder residue

bear spray may also be a good option if they get close and aggressive

·
Registered
351 Posts
I am indeed also considering pepper spray! thank you, and I appreciate your caveats :)

+++
Pepper spray... Works well, but the use of that might be twisted around as being considered a weapon..
Hornet, wasp long distance 30' spray work OK. Much cheaper option..

·
Registered
351 Posts
Forgot to add.... Refillable spray bottle with house hold ammonia.. Mix with hot pepper oil, water, a few drops of dish soap... All kinds of common ingredient things that may be useful..

1 - 20 of 44 Posts