HELP!! 4 dead lambs full of worms!

Discussion in 'Sheep' started by farmergirl, Jun 5, 2006.

1. farmergirl

farmergirl Well-Known Member Supporter

I deworm every quarter (4 times a year) and even so have lost 4 lambs in the past week. Had my suspicions confirmed by the vet today. They are full of Strongyles. Lately I've used Fenbendazole feed thru to deworm, but apparently I need to rotate to Ivermectin for a couple cycles. My problem, other than the obvious, is that I haven't found a feed thru version of ivermectin or Strongid that's designed for sheep.

2. Ross

Ross Moderator Staff Member Supporter

Safeguard crumbles on script from your vet, (mine copied the dose for cattle as an example) and Ivomec drench for sheep, but that's not exactly a feed version.

3. farmergirl

Fenbendazole is the active ingredient in Safeguard. Is there an ivermectin feed thru? I have the ivermectin drench, but don't have a good way to catch all the sheep to deworm them.

4. Ross

Oh right you wanted a feed thru for pyrantel!! Can't say I've heard of one. I used Banamine II before but it's really very similar to fenbendasol. I'd say your stuck crushing them into a small pen and wading through drenching and marking as you go. Feed grain out and snag any you miss as they nose in. Many to do?

5. farmergirl

is now around 47! Problem is, I can only get about 1/2 of them into the catch pen, because the second half of the flock catches on to what we're doing as we walk them into the pen. The second half of the flock just hangs back, refusing to enter the pen! I have a border collie who will eventually be a good working dog, but who is currently untrained for her future profession!
    Guess I'll have my husband bring up the rear with the dog on a leash. That might work.....
    I'll keep you posted on the results!

6. YuccaFlatsRanch

YuccaFlatsRanch Well-Known Member Supporter

Why not really SOLVE your worm problem with CYDECTIN. It is the latest and best and is the wormer of last resort. Your problem sounds like a likely candidate. CYDECTIN kills 99%+ of allthe worms. You also need to read up on how to prevent reinfestation. You can buy CYDECTIN at your local feed store. Its about $70.00 a liter, and it is a drench specifically for sheep and goats - safe for pregnant ewes. Dosage is 1 CC per 11 pounds of body weight.

Where in Texas are you??

7. Sprout

Sprout Well-Known Member

The Sunny Okie transplant ground of Californie
    Do you have the iverease available to you? It's feed through ivermec for horses maybe your vet could tell you if it's safe for sheep or not. Try feeding them in the catch pen for a few days and not even trying to catch them or pay attention. If you have a smaller pasture herd them in there and then invite your freinds over for a sheep wrangling event. Lol more like drag anyone in there with you that can stand. Hope you can get your worms down.

8. Cat

Cat Well-Known Member

I was thinking that I'd read about an Ivermectin feed additive not too long ago... okay, having googled it I realize it's the Iverease that Sprout just mentioned...

9. Shazza

Shazza Well-Known Member Supporter

How come you have to worm so often? We worm once a year...at shearing time...thats all no need to worm again. Do you think there is such a thing as over worming an animal. What breed of sheep do you have? Doesnt sound like they are a fleece breed.

10. Ross

I worm four or five times a year, usually with Safeguard crumbles and Ivomec once every two years at least. Cheap insurance usually tied to purchased feeds. Sure you can over worm, I've heard some show people worm twice a month!

11. RandB

RandB Well-Known Member

Has anybody used Ivermectin paste for horses, to worm sheep? Would it be safe? And if so, would the weight markers for horses, be correct for the sheep?

12. mamalisa

mamalisa Well-Known Member

I only have a few sheep, and I use the equine syringes. It works out ok, at least I haven't killed any sheep and we don't seem to have a worm problem....rotational grazing is helping there too! I have rambouillet, and use a bit less than one division---250 lbs?---per ewe.

13. Cat

Cat Well-Known Member

I've used zimectrin to worm my sheep too. I think I went with 200 lbs for most of my ewes and 300 for my big-fat-hog ewes.

14. Sprout

Sprout Well-Known Member

The Sunny Okie transplant ground of Californie

Yes it's safe and I've found it to be more effective(and cheaper) than the formulated sheep drench. You use the same weight for horse or sheep. I like to get the ones with the tabs marked in 50 pound incriments. Weanlings get one click, markets about 2, mommas 3-4 and ram 5. I have suffolks so it may be more dificult to dispense for smaller breeds.

15. farmergirl

In this part of Texas, where it's hot and humid with lots of rainfall, the parasites are a real problem. I only have 8 1/2 acres in pasture so I don't have much of an option for "rotational grazing". The sheep I have are Barbados, a "hair sheep" variety, so they don't need shearing. As far as over worming, that would be pretty hard to do. So far this year I've only lost new lambs, all in the 3-4 month age range.

16. Hank - Narita

Hank - Narita Well-Known Member

Be aware that if you have a collie breed or Aussie that you can't use this to worm your animals. You could be looking at a dead dog.

17. Ronney

Ronney Well-Known Member

I have an idea what a "feed-through" wormer is but would somebody please explain so that I can be sure. Thankyou.

Cheers,
    Ronnie

18. 6e

6e Farm lovin wife Supporter

We're having trouble with worms right now and our vet recommended Panacur. You give 1cc per 100 pounds of body weight given every day for 3 days. We're giving it as a drench, but you can pour it on the feed which is the way it was recommended to give, but since some of our sheep our hogs at the feed trough.....well, it would just be hard to control.
    Also, just for information's sake, our vet recommended that we worm every 4 months rotating between Panacur and Ivomec.

19. mawalla

mawalla Well-Known Member

Being in a hot and humid area you probably are experiencing the woes of the Barber Pole worm, (Haemonchus Contortus). It is a killer. Google up information from the Dale Bumbers Small Farms Reasearch Center as they have done extensive studies on controling the blood sucker. The Center is located in Booneville, Arkansas and they are a great bunch of researchers. Their methods have helped me and my flock out a bunch. I have a pretty good flock of resistant sheep now. It took time and some deep culling but it seems to be working!

20. farmergirl

I dewormed all the sheep with the paste yesterday and thery're looking good today, so I'm assuming all is well. The paste is great because in doesn't run out of their mouths like the drench does. Only real problem I encountered is that the amount of paste needed for the smaller lambs is a VERY little amount, so kinda hard to measure that and dose it up.