HELP! - 2 pound Nigerian dwarf kids - how many oz. to bottlefeed?

Discussion in 'Goats' started by GoatMom, May 2, 2005.

1. GoatMom

GoatMom New Member

Please e-mail me quickly! How much colostrum (in ounces) does a 2 pound Nigerian Dwarf newborn need to be fed (and how often)?

When I start to feed her milk (after 48 hrs?), how many ounces of that will she need? I plan to bottlefeed her 4 times / day.

Also, if her parents are both from CAE-negative herds, is there any need to heat treat colustrum / pasteurize the goats milk? Thanks so much!

2. eggladyj

eggladyj Well-Known Member

When my little girl was born in March she was one of triplets and very small! I don't know how much she actually weighed but I'm guessing not much over a pound. She stood 7" at the shoulder if that's any clues to her weight. Anyway, I started with about 1 to 2 ounces every few hours as I really wanted to get as much colostrum in her as I could. By the end of the first week she was taking around 5 ounces a feeding and I was feeding her 4 to 5 times a day, but I keep long hours!

Good luck with your new baby!
    Jeannine

3. trixiwick

trixiwick bunny slave

egglady's on target. We had a runty Pygmy buckling who is now a bottle baby, and he was up to 5 oz. per feeding by one week of age and 10 oz. before too much longer. Now he's 6 1/2 weeks old and can chug a 20-oz bottle in 5 minutes flat. We use powdered milk replacer, by the way, which makes life easier.

Good luck with the little one!