Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
6,021 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Expected to be 101 again in Ok today.

Saturday I was driving along on the way to church in near-100 weather when two motorcycles passed me. The bearded man was about Viet-name era, the woman slightly younger, honey blonde, hair tied in a ponytail. Both were short-sleeved, in jeans and boots, no helmets.

I've lived long enough to be near several motorcycle accidents. Two before I left high school, the neighbor across the creek, the fellow ahead of me on the highway who hit the van that pulled out in front of us. The fellow at the gun club who hit a patch of loose gravel on a turn and skidded into a tree--the non-fatal skids I've lost track of.

I've read of dozens of these accidents, some the result of drunken foolishness, many more the result of motorists who "just did not see the motorcycle coming".

All this leading up to an article in one of the lovelorn columns where a writer described motorcyclists who ride without helmets and leather as "potential organ donors".

How about this? Do those of you who ride in Summer heat wear helmets and leather? Would it make a real difference in an accident?

Are you especially watchful of the driver who is likely to pull out from a side road ahead of you?

Potential organ donors---I don't like the sound of that.
Ox

·
Premium Member
15,516 Posts
DD and her fiancee are avid riders and they dress for it. She may not look feminine with the heavy gear but I'd rather not see her covered with road rash either!

One thing we pointed out to them though to share with her buddies is to not ride too close to the center lane, expecially if they are in a group! In a blink of an eye, a vehicle can cross the line just a bit and hit a bike easily.

I hate the fact that they don't always use brain buckets (helmets) but iit's their decision.

·
Registered
726 Posts
I didn't wear a helmet when I rode back in the 1900's, or a leather jacket in the summer, but mostly wore leather pants. The general feeling at the time was that more people had issue with neck injuries when wearing a helmet than died of head injuries without one. They also restrict your ability to see and hear as well, meaning to be aware of your surroundings while riding, and possibly avoid a problem. Sliding on the pavement is a calculated risk. If it happens, you really wish you were covered up, though a good part of the reason to ride is to feel everything around you. The several small scale slides I had, the pants were good, an elbow pad would have been nice, but I didn't have any high speed slides. In an impact, leather doesn't do a lot, its mainly for slides. Best to grind away a leather coat than your skin.

I rode a lot when I did, riding 20,000 to 25,000 miles a year. I knew many people that were seriously hurt or killed. I stopped while I was ahead, and cant say I miss it. I seek my adventure in other ways now, though some may say what I love isn't all that safe either, but it is one of my true loves. Living near wild country, and camping and adventuring in bear country.

·
Registered
6,021 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Malamute; you can prepare for a bear. Not a heck of a lot you can do about the fellow who pulls his van into the road ahead of you.

There's a Russian video going about that shows a car changing lanes ahead of a speeding motorcycle. The cyclist is thrown up onto the roof of the auto--he lived.

I gave up wilding when I saw what it did to my friends. I'd rather be dull than dead.

·
Registered
726 Posts
Malamute; you can prepare for a bear. Not a heck of a lot you can do about the fellow who pulls his van into the road ahead of you.

I gave up wilding when I saw what it did to my friends. I'd rather be dull than dead.
This reminds me of a discussion with a friend. I mentioned that I wasnt as tough as I used to be, sleeping on the ground wasn't as much fun as it was in the past. He said he was as tough as he used to be, he just wanted to be tough at home now....so maybe you are just wilding at home now. :D

And yes, there is much you can do to prepare for a bear, but it still isn't a guarantee you'll see one in time. Having a dog around helps quite a lot. After that, a good 1886 or model 71 Winchester and Smith 44.

I was setting up camp one evening in the mountains near dusk. Both dogs suddenly went completely ballistic barking. I knew what it was, but it wouldnt come in with the dogs carrying on. I was involved with setting up the tent, it probably could have pretty well walked up to me and tapped me on the shoulder to say Hi if the dogs hadn't alerted to it. In our morning walk, we found the large pile of fresh bear poop near camp. Molly, despite being afraid of the bear the previous evening, sniffed it, peed on it, then went on. I never saw it, it could have been a black or a grizzly, but from knowing the area, I'd guess a grizzly. I decided to sleep in the truck that night. I do love sleeping out under the stars up above treeline though. I've seen some absolutely amazing Northern Lights and shooting stars.

·
Super Moderator
13,670 Posts
When I rode in my younger days I always leathered and helmeted up even though my friends laughed at me for having to often spend 10 minutes stripping to my shorts and sneakers and stowing my leather when I got to where we were going.

I turned my motorcycle into a pile of scrap when a woman left turned me and I went over the hood of her car landing on the pavement on my hands and knees sliding for about 25 feet until I tipped into the ditch like Marty Feldman on his tricycle in the Monty Python show.

Shredded the palms of the gauntlets and skinned the knees almost through to the knee pad but I only jam sprained three fingers.

·
Registered
7,883 Posts
There are statistics aplenty about your chances going way up when you have a brain bucket on . . . way up . . . . . .
Yet there are those who want to be ***free*** . . . . . ya takes yer chances...

I am totally convinced that my helmet REALLY helped save the day when I got hit by a car while on my snowmobile. Leg was badly busted . . .but my head wasn't......

·
Premium Member
3,216 Posts
Wore a helmet twice. Once when taking the riding test to get my motorcycle endorcement for my license, the other time on a ride back to Indiana from pensylvania, i had to go through WV for about 15 miles or so, wore the helmet through WV, soon as I got into Ohio, off it came.

I have worn leathers, chaps in cooler weather when a possibility of rain, or simmilar, gloves in cooler weather, jacket in cooler weather, boots- always.

3 times, I forgot, I did borrow a full face helmet once when riding 30+ miles home January second, temp was 27 degrees.

·
Premium Member
2,812 Posts
I always wear a helmet. I go ahead and spend the money to get a good helmet and that makes a lot of difference in the comfort level. My helmet has sun glasses that flip up and down out of it. Absolutely love that feature! Has ventilation as well.

I wear gloves and a leather vest. I do not wear leather pants and I do not wear boots. I actually catch a lot of heat from other bikers for not wearing boots, but I have odd ankles and boots absolutely kill me.

I'm considering selling my motorcycle. The traffic is so bad in this area now that I have near misses on a regular basis in my car. Wish my big truck got better mileage!

·
Premium Member
11,554 Posts
I just got off my bike about 30 minutes ago... I had a helmet on because the law in WV says I have to wear one.. If I'm riding where there's no helmet law, I won't wear one. When I hit a state line I take it off as I'm riding. I'm not a fan of them.. they make my neck hurt. I even wear half helmets because they aren't as heavy and don't buffet as much..

I had my leather coat on because it was pretty chilly.. If it's hot out.. no leather.. I only use leather to keep warm..

I know, they say dress for the crash and not the ride... I dress for the ride... I've dropped a few bikes and gotten some road rash here and there.. Yep.. it hurts like no tomorrow, or you wish you wouldn't see tomorrow if the pain would stop, but at least I'm not having a heat stroke..

I had a really good friend I used to ride with all the time. He ALWAYS wore a full helmet and leathers. Three days after we moved from IL to DC he got hit at an intersection. Someone ran a stop sign, then the car behind him ran over him... killed him.. Not the first friend I lost in a bike accident that was wearing a helmet and leather..

·
Registered
6,021 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I suspect more bikers are killed by motorists than kill themselves by foolish riding. I know some of each; the slip on gravel, the turn that is too sharp for the speed, a bit of beer--those things happen, but more often it is a cycle-auto crash.

Kid across the street was riding beside an 18 wheeler when a landscaper decided to beat the truck thru and intersection. He beat the truck, but my neighbor went between the pickup and the landscaper's trailer. They had to bury him early--could not even wait for the service.

·
Premium Member
25,207 Posts
I had to wear one when I was in Mo. Didn't wear one here as I only road it from here to church and back 10 miles round. I sold mine 2yrs ago.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Like everything else in life helmets can help and they can hurt. It is possible for a helmet to melt to the pavement briefly while skidding and then twist your neck rapidly, breaking your neck. Helmets add a lot of weight which can snap your neck in sudden stops and there is no doubt that helmets hamper your ability to hear and to decide where sounds are coming from. If you dont believe that part, try wearing a helmet while driving your car and you will be stopped and ticketed. For believers did you know that only one size is DOT approved? The helmet manufacturer warns that if you drop your helmet from shoulder high onto concrete pavement, the helmet should be replaced. Sounds rather weak.

1934 Indian Chief on my living room wall

Attachments

·
Registered
3,205 Posts
I wear a helmet whenever I ride, but other than my leather vest, don't own any leather. I do, however, wear boots, gloves and jeans whenever I ride. And I try to wear a lightweight jacket as well. The vest has my CMA patch on it, and I only wear it when I'm doing an activity w/them.

I've seen people wearing flip flops, shorts and no shirt (or if it's a girl, one of those shirts w/the spaghetti straps). Really makes me wonder how much protection they'd have in a crash.

·
Premium Member
11,554 Posts
I've seen people wearing flip flops, shorts and no shirt (or if it's a girl, one of those shirts w/the spaghetti straps). Really makes me wonder how much protection they'd have in a crash.
Had a friend that bought a new V-Rod.. .Took a friends sister bar hopping with him one night. He caught a median and flipped her of the back and slid the bike down the road... If you saw her afterwards, you'd know they offer no protection. Matter a fact, all it does is grind some cloth fibers into your skin... She was a mess, but wasn't actually hurt bad... Just a lot of pain from a lot of road rash..

I've got a huge hole I put in my knee from sliding down the road with the bike on it... I had blue jeans on... It wasn't pretty either.. I've got friends that wear dragon jeans when riding... they say they help a little, but in a real crash, you might as well not have them.. Pavement can grind through most anything.. even leather..

1 - 18 of 18 Posts