Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I'm excited to be here. I'm 30 years old and grew up on Long Island and moved to Westchester for work. I have spent much of my life thus far outdoors, mainly hunting and fishing. Both my fiance and I work in education and are looking to begin acquiring knowledge in the science & art of homesteading. We have been kicking the idea around of moving to northern NY, or even Vermont, New Hampshire or Maine. I am skilled in carpentry, metal fabrication, and mechanical/energy systems. I am not, however, skilled in farming or livestock tending (two areas I will probably be seeking help from the forum with).

The only thing keeping us from doing this yesterday is work. We both wish to remain fully employed in education, and live a mostly off-grid life simple life.

If you have any advice on the geographical regions I mentioned, in addition to any employment related advice, specifically for a teacher, or people with a masters of science please send it my way!

As for us, the most important things are health and a little play money for vacations, toys and retirement. The second is feeling "free", something I have not felt since childhood.

-TheDream

·
Premium Member
3,681 Posts
Welcome to HT TheDream. You will find all kinds of good advice here. I love NY state, Vermont and Maine. All good choices as long as you love snow : ) I look forward to reading your posts.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Welcome to HT TheDream. You will find all kinds of good advice here. I love NY state, Vermont and Maine. All good choices as long as you love snow : ) I look forward to reading your posts.
Thanks, I like the snow! Snowboarding and snowmobiling are of my favorite activities.

My posts will be slow but pick up steam in about a years time. We plan on putting effort into our great escape in about 9 months time! In the mean time we will be gathering knowledge and planning for the dive! The only thing is the employment aspect, as i'm sure it is with many people. If we can transfer, or find new employment that will begin between 9 & 12 months from now, we are off to live the dream.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts