Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello from the Gulf Coast! I have been lurking about the site for a little bit now, and thought I should introduce myself. I really enjoy these forums; the knowledge of the community here has been most inspirational.
My husband and I are empty-nesters looking to move away from the really, really big city out to where the air doesn't have a taste and we are not condemned to spend our lives sitting in traffic surrounded by the noise, crime and anxiety that comes with living on top of millions of people. With any luck we will have our homestead purchased just after the first of the year, and hopefully, chickens will be soon to follow thereafter! I must tell y'all, we are pretty excited.
I look forward to seeing where this adventure takes us, and am very thankful there are resources such as this website to help us with some of the questions that we will inevitably have. :)

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The Appalachians in Tennessee?? It is so beautiful there. I went to college in Louisville, KY and drove through TN often. If we could have found better work out there, my husband and I would have stayed. The scenery was always fabulous, no matter the season.

·
Registered
1,696 Posts
It is breathtakingly beautiful here, and I do feel privileged to live on the same land my family has had since the 1850's, but you're right about lack of available work. Unless you're in healthcare or want to work in a restaurant, there are no jobs here.
Where are y'all thinking of moving to?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Handymama,

We have given thought to a few places over the last two years. First we thought to move back to Kentucky, but my husband's job here is just too good to let go of. He just couldn't get a comparable salary from the companies interested in his resume.

My family owns a large farm in Iowa, so we thought to set aside a few acres for us to homestead on, but the same situation. My husband's job is very good, and would be a mistake to just let it go for half salary elsewhere.

So we have settled to move just north of the Houston area. With my parent's recent retirement, it really would be best to stick close and keep an eye on them, anyway.

With the rapid sudden expansion of Houston, acreage is being snapped up left and right, so we are now having to make our move or lose the opportunity to stay close to where my husband works. Also land prices are jumping up in this suddenly hot market. So if we wait much longer, we will end up spending more money with much less to show for it.

So, yeah... that's my book of an explanation for ya. Hope it answered your question. haha

·
Premium Member
5,750 Posts
Welcome, having lived in Harris County for 3 years at Humble, long ago, I wish you the best in gettin out of there. On the other hand, if you can't find something in Houston, it ain't been made yet.
ED

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hello FarmFamily! Thank You.

whiterock- I have lived in Harris Co. for 14 years. Largest city I have ever lived in. It makes me miss the isolation of when I lived in Montana! Haha. However, the opportunities here are really wonderful for my family. We just can't take the city. I am also a chef and want some control over what I am eating and serving to others.

We are pretty certain we can carve out a nice little 5 acre homestead in Liberty or Montgomery County where we can get some distance between us and the city. My husband doesn't have to quit his great job, and I can have my garden and chickens, and goats and, and, and... ;) Plus, when/ if we outgrow it, the Big Houston Expansion project will probably ensure a nice sales price. Just have to steer clear of some future "imminent domain" areas, or the homestead might be relocating sooner than we would wish for.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hi from West Texas!
I just bought land in Oregon last week and hope to move next year! Good luck with your plans! I know what you mean about land being snapped up. Yikes, there were two parcels right next to each other in the area I was looking at in Oregon. I committed to one and the other one was sold by the next day! I think a lot of people are thinking about options -- and not thinking too long!
Julie

·
Registered
251 Posts
Hello from Crosby TX. There is 11 acres right down the road for me. HGo to har.com then house with acreage use zip code 77532. Not sure of your price range but may be worth the look.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts