Hello from southern Ontario, Canada

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by Beylabean, Mar 1, 2016.

1. Beylabean

Beylabean New Member

Hi all. New here and new to homesteading. Looking for advice on zoning our new property! Can't wait to get started!!

2. lgrandmaitre

lgrandmaitre Well-Known Member

Hello! I'm homesteading near Quebec In Ontario :) Welcome to homesteading and good luck!
    where do you live? I'm in Zone 4 Right now
    Any thing you need you can give me a shout and i can give you some quick answers :)

3. Truckinguy

Truckinguy Well-Known Member Supporter

Nice to see more Ontarians here, welcome to the forum. It would help to add your location to your posts so you can get more accurate information. I'm near Alliston and working on my own little place. Enjoy your new journey!

lgrandmaitre likes this.
  4. Maura

Maura Well-Known Member Supporter

I’ve never been that far. We used to go to London and morris dance. Now with needing a passport, it’s a pain. Got to get a new one. Welcome, eh.

5. Beylabean

Beylabean New Member

We are just north of Brighton!

6. lgrandmaitre

Hello ! Let us know if you need any help!:grin: how did you fair through the big storm? we need to get our 8N unstuck today haha!

7. Oakberry_Hill

Oakberry_Hill Active Member

I admire the folks that tackle homesteading in such cold climates. Not that there are aren't pros and cons to any climate.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2016
  8. lgrandmaitre

Its well worth it When you have a sugar bush! I cant wait to plant mine :)

9. Beylabean

Beylabean New Member

It wasn't nearly as bad as they said it would be. And it looks like we are headed toward spring now. Been getting sunnier and warmer. :)

I am sooo ready for planting / growing season. And then canning/preserving.

I may be flooding the boards with questions then! ;)

10. lgrandmaitre

Yes I agree! I want to Train some Pack Goats this summer so they can carry my water and vegetables from my garden
    I have been studying permaculture,forest gardening, profitable self sustainability
    What resource dose your homestead have? ( I've opted for ducks instead of chickens because I have a pond) My favorite part of Homesteading is making problems into answers, like with the mosquito problem, well my ducks need food and mascovies love mosquito larva.
    I agree canning is great! I love the canned goods I still have in the cantina. Any good recipes?
    What Zone are you in?
    if you have any down time/spare time you should give The permaculture pod cast a listen. It gave me so many great ideas !http://www.thepermaculturepodcast.com/archives/

11. Beylabean

Beylabean New Member

I have a pond also, and will be getting ducks! Didn't know Muscovies enjoyed the larva!!! Will be getting some of those for sure.

Zones are the thing i need help with... We don't have the house until the end of this month, so I'm just planning and getting ready. Any chance you can pm me regarding zones? I really just want to get it right!

lgrandmaitre likes this.