Hello from Oregon

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by tired_gardener, Dec 15, 2016.

1. tired_gardener

tired_gardener Well-Known Member

Hey all! My family just moved to our little 1.7 acre homestead in Clatskanie, Oregon. We are so excited to be here and are taking it slow.

Chicken coup is up, and our two old ladies that we brought from the city are happily clucking out there. Well, right now there is snow on the ground. They don't seem too happy about that.

Planning on getting ducks and maybe quail at some point. I love eggs. Also planning on .7 acre garden, 4-8 turkeys (for meat) and 2-4 angora goats for the fiber.

I work full time and most of the "farm" is my job, so we have to take it slow in order to make sure I don't get overwhelmed and then have poorly cared for animals or a weed patch where I planted the garden.

2. AnchorRanchFarm

AnchorRanchFarm Active Member

Welcome to the neighborhood. We're South of you in the Central Valley and also just recently moved.

You're taking it slow but the chicken coop is done. I have lumber for the coop sitting in a shed right now...been there 3 weeks...

Are you thinking of running chickens, ducks, quail, and turkeys all in the same area, or separating them? All that sounds yummy.

Raeven and CountryMom22 like this.

3. tired_gardener

At least the turkeys will be separate. Turkeys and Chickens should not live together because they both get blackhead, but chickens don't get sick from it and turkeys do. You might not know they have it till your turkeys start dying.

I'm thinking the ducks will live in the dog kennel that is next door to where the chickens are (also used to be a dog kennel). The turkeys will live up in the corner of the yard, where my broken F250 sits right now. Quails.... I don't know yet. Not read about them yet, so don't know what they require.

Raeven and CountryMom22 like this.
  4. Raeven

Raeven Reluctant Adult Supporter

Welcome to you both from another Oregonian, neighbor to the south, northwest of Eugene. What adventures you both have ahead!

Smart to take it slow, tired_gardener. You're right about that getting overwhelmed thing. Lots of people jump in with both feet and then create problems for themselves they never imagined. I'd only caution you that goats are eaters, and 2-4 sounds like quite a few for an acre. I keep 2 mutts on 4 acres of pasture and still feed out hay at this time of year when the grass is slow.

How exciting about all the birds! I've kept chickens for many years with only a brief hiatus owing to an unfortunate skunk incident and I can't really imagine not having them now. My duck experience was... not happy. Even with a fine pond for them. Perhaps the less said about that, the better. Anyway, I'm sure you'll do much better with them than I did!

Will look forward to hearing about and learning from your progress -- and hope you will both post lots of pictures, too!

CountryMom22 likes this.
  5. tired_gardener

We are not positive about the goats yet, since they are kinda spendy, but we still might. We have a lot of overgrown stuff in the back .6 acre and they will rotate to the front .6 acre when the garden has been harvest. Will also get trimmings from neighbors for them to munch on, or find people that want to tame their blackberries. I'm more into the birds than the goats. I'm a little worried about them getting into the garden when we DON'T want them there.

6. Raeven

Raeven Reluctant Adult Supporter

LOL, a determined goat will go just about anywhere it wants to go, I'm afraid. They're champion jumpers, climbers and fence crawlers.

What about Angora rabbits? My grandmother raised them for their fur and did a pretty nice business out of it, too. Lots easier to keep than goats!

Just spitballin' here. :)

CountryMom22 likes this.
  7. fishhead

fishhead Well-Known Member Supporter

Welcome. Good fences will make you happy so that you aren't chasing your animals out of the garden or the road or chasing off predators after they've killed some of your chickens.

I've waiting to hear back about a job in Klamath Falls. Hopefully that's a nice laid back place to live.

8. CountryMom22

CountryMom22 Well-Known Member

Welcome! You're smart to start slow and think things through before you jump. Especially when it comes to animals since you can't just leave them until it's convenient to start caring for them again! Looking forward to hearing more of your adventures!

9. tired_gardener

Klamath falls is beautiful. No falls there though. Kinda silly name since it's a lake....