Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

My DH and I live in south west Nova Scotia. We purchased our property in July 2016. While we're not necessarily looking to create a complete homestead by normal definitions we are looking to become as self-sustaining as we can. We've got 2 acres, but only 3/4 of an acre is cleared. Our main focus is fruit and vegetable gardening with the possibility of egg chickens in the future.
I work full time and DH is on small pension. Our family is rounded out by 2 cats and a dog.
Since it's just the two of us it shouldn't be that hard to grow enough fruits and veggies for ourselves for a year, right?! LOL I guess it's a good thing we like preserving.

Have a great day!
Claire =)

·
newfieannie
9,640 Posts
Welcome to the forum Claire! not sure where south west is. Linda is here also. she's from Yarmouth County. and a couple more i think. I'm in Dartmouth myself right now. I still have my land out around the Halifax Airport where I had a hobby farm but now grow some veggies etc.

you can grow plenty on 3/4 of an acre. that was what I started with and had chickens,2 pigs etc.etc. we got a great bunch here. you can learn a lot from them. i know I did.not only homesteading. we cover most things. hope you enjoy your stay! ~Georgia

·
Registered
806 Posts
I agree Newfieannie we have two and a half acres. We have goats ,rabbits, pigs. ducks, chickens Fruit trees( we just started) veggie garden, herb boxes, nut trees. We are still planning for new things. It is a life style and a frame of mind.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hi folks! Another scotian here. Raised in west hants outside of windsor most my life. currently living near porters lake in the eastern shore. looking at land and houses for over a year trying to find a place but currently have 3 heritage breed layers (8 more hatching this weekend and then another 2 dozen or so going in the incubator right after!) veggie gardens blackberry bushes and meat birds coming!) nice to know there are like minded nova scotians here!

·
Registered
131 Posts
"Howdy Hey" from Northport, NS. Moved here a year ago from Ontario. We have 60 acres, 50 acres is bush. I sell chicken hatching eggs and have a fresh produce stand to keep me happy and busy.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts