Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just joined the site after reading a couple of the forums and found them very helpful and supported by good and reasonable people. I have 15 acres described as a Post Oak Savannah. Good deep soil and no rocks (yeah). I have 13 Dorper/Kat mix sheep being rotationally pastured. Into prepping and sustainable living. I have a permaculture background and big plans for the farm. I would love to hear from others with similar interests.

·
Premium Member
5,751 Posts
Howdy and welcome

·
Registered
51 Posts
Hey, do you feel like your specific land would support more sheep grazing rotationally like you do? Also, hi!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi Farmerestes,
Yes, I do think it will support a larger flock. Right now I am only using about 7 acres for the sheep pasturing. I plan to keep all of the spring crop of ewes to add to the flock. Yesterday I planted hairy vetch, crimson clover and rye grass in that pasture for winter grazing and to improve the pastures in general. I have a pretty good grass base of bermuda and a mixture of native grasses now and am hoping this winter seeding will improve it even more with more diversity.

·
Registered
51 Posts
That sounds like a great spread. How did you decide to get into sheep? I'm in a similar area, with less rainfall, and planning on sheep.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Since I travel so much I needed to start with something that requires very little maintenance. Dorpers are hairless (no sheering), don't need the tails docked, or crotching, give birth easily on good pasture, and have good resistance to parasites. My plan is to drop lambs around the end of March each year when the grass is growing and the extreme cold is usually over. This year I will keep back one male lamb to be a friend to my ram since I will be keeping him separate of the flock until breeding time. I also wanted something that could keep my pastures improving and produce meat.
When I am able to be home full time, I will at least have this enterprise up and running.
Where are you located?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Farmerestes,
I just saw that you are in or near Denton, TX. i moved to Texas almost 40 years ago and the first place I lived was on 5 acres about 3 miles west of Krum, Tx (up your way)

·
Registered
51 Posts
How did that go for you? Was 5 acres enough to do anything at all? I went to college in east Texas, Nacogdoches. I know the area around the Davy Crockett pretty darn well.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I only lived there for a couple of years and then moved to Dallas due to my wife having a severe illness. I was also young and didn't have enough money to really do anything and didn't know what I now know about homesteading life. I loved the place, but really didn't capitalize on the opportunity.

·
Registered
51 Posts
We're not on acreage yet, sadly. Looking at 10 acres, hopefully. I am into fiber, so Jacobs and Tunis look like good low-input breeds, and Tunis is supposed to be really good meat.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts