Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Finally joined after years of lurking. I would always get to work early and signs on and checkout Homesteading Today. The old saying "do what you love, lo e what you do" is so true. After 23 years in the aerospace industry in Huntsville,AL, I retired Dec. 31, 2013. My wife had been ill with a heart condition for several years and 2013 she was in and out of the hospital 7-8 Times. I was off work for 2 months on FMLA. The day I we t back to work, my boss ask me when will I be able to finish the project on my desk. At that time I figured a way to pay my house off and to retire and spend time with my wife. The answer was to downsize and move to a few acres and become self sufficient. However, the do your told us under her health condition she had 1-2 years left. She passed away O t. 26, 2013. Our dream will now be just my dream now. I was raised on a farm but I am instilling going to have more questions all you good folks can help me with and I hope to get to know you all better. Chuckles

·
Big Front Porch advocate
44,851 Posts
HI from above Huntsville AL. I've worked at Intergraph and at Science and Engineering but don't work either place now.

So sorry your wife passed so early. And welcome to Homesteading Today, we are usually like a family. Best wishes on your plans for your new land and home.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I was down the street at Boeing Company for 23 years. Working on updating my house and hope to put it on the market next spring. I sure dont miss the 90 mile round trip 5-6 days a week. Looking for 3-5 acres since its just me and the kids will be nearby.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hey Dawn good to meet you. I know where you are at. How's the weather been in your area? We had had much bad weather, just some rain. I've been busy looking for some land and have just about came to a decision. It's here in Cullman county so not moving far. Just have to get a trailer or build a small cabin. Good to hear from you, if you ever up this way look me up. About as far south I get is Birmingham unless I'm going to the beach. Charles

·
Premium Member
2,585 Posts
Weather has been wet and much colder than usual for the fall. I don't get up your way very often, we usually head east to visit family.

Dawn

·
Premium Member
2,230 Posts
Hi Chuckles. I have been on HT for several years but lately don't seem to find a lot of time to get on here. I am about 20 miles SW of Chatom if you know where that is. Just wanted to say how sorry I am about your wife and welcome you to HT.

·
Registered
551 Posts
Welcome from Indiana!! Very sorry for your loss.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Fae I had to do some research and look up Chatom. You are in Washington county just both of Mobile. I had never heard of it. It really sounds interesting. Hippygirl I do know where you are located never been there but I am familiar with Phoenix City. More people than I knew in Alabama on here. Hope to be able to meet you all some day. Happy Thanksgiving and WAR EAGLE!😃

·
Registered
694 Posts
Hey Chuckles,

Glad to have another north Alabamian aboard. I am in Marshall County. Just retired myself in January 2013 from Redstone. Sorry to hear about your wife, but happy to hear your continuing your shared dream. Look forward to hearing more about your progress.

KMA1

1 - 14 of 14 Posts