Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone!
Was recommended this site for the goats info, but I see there is lots of good info in other interests.
Little on me, I grew up in a semi-rural area, but never farmed.
After a number of years as a cubical dweller, I decided there had to be more to life (that cube life will kill you!). So, after a series of tries, and life changes, I made the jump, and bought a very neglected farm. 30+ years of neglect I have my work cut out for me.
I am using goats, mob grazing with portable electric fencing to clear the overgrowth. After a year and a half it was going very well. Will post my goat woes in the goat section.
I have chickens, rabbits, and 3 pigs.
I do raised bed gardens, but this year I tried planting directly in the ground in a area where the goats and chickens had been last year. Should be more fertile right? Well, with this weird weather, nothing really grew well direct in ground plantings. Even my neighbors had probs. Only my FIL garden did well, but that required massive amounts of Miricle Grow. Not my thing.
My aim for farming is to use as little off farm inputs as possible. Like to build up a small CSA, direct sales of pastured pork, chickens, rabbits, goats and cows.
Well, enough about me!
Glad to be here, hope to make some new friends and learn.

·
Premium Member
2,315 Posts
Hello,

It certainly does sound like work to me! Neglected land takes time to reclaim, we have been working at it for years.

I live and work in NNY, dh works in CNY. The winters can be brutal. Have you been through a winter here, yet? Did you come from an area with lots of snow? Lake effect is something!

How is condition of the house? Do you have usable outbuildings?

My garden was awful, too. Fungus issues on everything, rotted seeds and weeds that grew "feet" some night with heat and rain. Bleah. Hay grew well, tough harvesting.

There is a wealth of knowledge here. Lots of opinions and sometimes some good laughs, sometimes a good mad!

·
Premium Member
4,949 Posts
Hi, RweThereYet! I'm 26 miles west of Watertown on the lake. Glad to have another NYer with us! :)

Sounds like you've done a lot all ready on your place. I agree with you on the weather this year, kind of different next to what we've been used to for the last few years. My garden (tiny) has done well but the hay crop has been late, thin, and on the weedy side next to regular years.

I have beef cows, turkeys, and chickens.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hello,

It certainly does sound like work to me! Neglected land takes time to reclaim, we have been working at it for years.

I live and work in NNY, dh works in CNY. The winters can be brutal. Have you been through a winter here, yet? Did you come from an area with lots of snow? Lake effect is something!

How is condition of the house? Do you have usable outbuildings?

My garden was awful, too. Fungus issues on everything, rotted seeds and weeds that grew "feet" some night with heat and rain. Bleah. Hay grew well, tough harvesting.

There is a wealth of knowledge here. Lots of opinions and sometimes some good laughs, sometimes a good mad!
Two winters here so far! Last year was brutal!

The house was ok. Needs work here and there, but otherwise ok. One shed if just ok shape. The old barn the former owners let it go and fall in.
We had a new one built by the Amish this past summer.

Thank you!

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi, RweThereYet! I'm 26 miles west of Watertown on the lake. Glad to have another NYer with us! :)

Sounds like you've done a lot all ready on your place. I agree with you on the weather this year, kind of different next to what we've been used to for the last few years. My garden (tiny) has done well but the hay crop has been late, thin, and on the weedy side next to regular years.

I have beef cows, turkeys, and chickens.

I am doing everything the Slooow way. Use the animals to do the work clearing, fertilizing, and improving the land. Seen quite an improvement in the areas where the goats and chickens have been. Less weeds, more grass, red and white clover.
I cut some loose hay using a scythe. Rake it the second day and bag on the third. The cutting is easy part. Raking and bagging is the harder part.
I dont own a tractor and if things go my way, I never will.

What kind of cows do you have? I have been looking into Dexters for next year.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts