Hello from Australia

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by rwood, Jan 15, 2005.

1. rwood

rwood Well-Known Member

Hello there!

Ive been quietly reading this forum for a few months now. I Finally registered myself tongiht and thought I would say hello. So...G'day!

Firstly; this is the greatest site on the interent, its now my homepage :worship: . You are a great bunch of people. The way you help without judgment is fantastic, the ideas and research are top rate. Thanks for everything so far.

Second; for those currently feeling the cold....it was 40 degrees here today, and I mean celsius. Thats 104 degrees F for you all (its summer down in this hemisphere remeber). Believe me, I would like to swap places too. Its 11.30 at night and still 75F. Ive been on death watch in the garden as the last 2 days have been over 100F as well, that makes 3 days in a row of 100+. Sure is ripening up the plums and apricots quick :eek: . Tomatoes havent gone red yet :confused: , but thats a question for another time.

Thirdly; Anyone else on this site from Aus? I was hoping there was someone out there you could help translate seasons, temperatures and everything else.

Lastly, My wife and I have just sold our Sydney home, the first step to realising our homesteading dream. Its now time to look for a farm that we can call home and raise our family (just had a baby girl 4 weeks ago). We have moved to Canberra (our version of Washington DC) as this area is where we will work 'real' jobs ('real' annoying) while we set up our farm.

Its so exciting!!

My First Thread...cant wait to talk to you all.
    RAF

Havent figured out the signature yet, but will work on it now.

2. rwood

rwood Well-Known Member

Thanks.....and yes I am hovering around waiting for replies......just like a newbie.

3. Blu3duk

Blu3duk Well-Known Member

Hi howdy and welcome..... Ive a friend in oz that might be of service to you.... she does all states conveyancing for what its worth..... and was just here in the states visiting some relatives after not being here for 20 years or so since visiting last....

anyhow there are a few of you folks that sleep all day and are up all night on board here.

William

4. desdawg

desdawg Well-Known Member

Welcome, good to hear from you. I am here in sunny Arizona, USA. We spend the time from about the end of May to late October at 100+ degrees so I can relate to the heat. Wintertime here is when we get our nice weather. I have another home in the mountains where it is about 20 degrees cooler in the summer so I can split my time between the two. Unfortunately I earn my living here in the hotspot so only get to the cooler place on weekends.
    I don't even attempt to garden. No time and trying to grow plants here would be like beating my head against a rock I think. Too many hungry, thirsty critters looking for damp shade in the desert.
    Looking forward to getting that Australian point of view in future threads.
    Joe

5. kesoaps

kesoaps Well-Known Member

G'day! Welcome aboard, rwood!

I'll trade a few degrees with you! Not a complete swap, mind you, as I don't do heat. Nothing over 75 F, please, but I think we could do a pretty decent trade as I'm down to the teens at the moment, and my only true desire is an ice free road!

6. Lrose

Lrose Well-Known Member

Greetings from Nova Scotia Canada ! Austrailia is a long way from Canada . My son-in-law has a sister married somewhere in Austrailia but I am not sure where. Welcome to this site and congratulations on the new baby! We wish you well with finding a homestead. It will be alot different than farming in Canada as we do. Will be interesting to to compare the differences. Our weather here varies in the winter from 0 celsius {32 Farheniet} down to -10 C {12 F} Last year was a fluke and it dipped to -20 C{ -8 F} luckily it didn't last all winter. We live right on the coast next to the ocean so it is milder than inland. Summers on the coast only get up to an average of +20 C {72 F} It is hotter inland. Another good site for Homesteaders with lots of information is Deliberate Life . I have learned alot there too. DL and this one are my favourites. Have a nice day and good luck! Linda

7. NativeRose

NativeRose Texas Country Grandma

Hello, From Texas,

This is a wonderful place to get and share information and make friends. I especially like hearing from others from other places. Wishing you the best.
    Rosemary

8. ibcnya

ibcnya Well-Known Member

Welcome Rwood. I have often thought of moving to Australia but kind of stuck where I am at now. I have been to Brisbane and up the coast to Rockhampton. Beautiful country along that way. Spent some time in the Shoalwater Bay area doing some joint stuff with the Aussie troops. Oh and let me say, you and your mates have some excellent beer.

9. rio002

rio002 Well-Known Member

Howdy rwood! If I remember right your about 17 hours ahead of us in WA. state, glad to have you here! :D Congrats to you both on the wee one, and look forward to getting to know you. Had a friend years back in the student exchange program, she lived in Sydney with her host family--said it was absolutely gorgeous there. BTW hopefully my plum tree will do as well as yours this year lol btw are there really spiders that can jump 30 feet there?? :eek:

10. Little Quacker in OR

Little Quacker in OR Well-Known Member

Hey rwood! G'day from Oregon! IF you are in Canberra go and say Hello to my son who is attached to the US Embassy there. E mail me and I'll give you his e-mail!

I am heading for Canberra to visit Rocky and his wife in April(well, If I haven't screwed up my passport), I sent off the original of my Birth Cerificate to Soc. Security and then everything went Pear Shaped! LOL

Welcome to the forum and good luck with your search! I know you will find the perfect place and all will be apples!

:p LQ

11. bgak47

bgak47 Well-Known Member

Welcome rwood! :)

12. moopups

moopups In Remembrance

In beautiful downtown Sticks, near Belleview, Fl.
    To answer your third question, yes we have two that I know of, Don Armstrong, one of our computer forum moderators and a woman in Country Families, her name was rescently changed so it slips my mind at this moment We also have members in South America, England, and even Holland.

13. TexasArtist

TexasArtist Well-Known Member

Hello there
    Welcome to the board. I'm currently living in texas and kind of share the temps you go through. The thing I've found that works great for a garden in this kind of heat is to get an old parachute and put it up over the garden. It's light so it does let the sunlight hit the garden but the veges dont get fried. :D Hopes this helps ya.

Second; for those currently feeling the cold....it was 40 degrees here today, and I mean celsius. Thats 104 degrees F for you all (its summer down in this hemisphere remeber). Believe me, I would like to swap places too. Its 11.30 at night and still 75F. Ive been on death watch in the garden as the last 2 days have been over 100F as well, that makes 3 days in a row of 100+. Sure is ripening up the plums and apricots quick :eek: . Tomatoes havent gone red yet :confused: , but thats a question for another time.

14. NancyinArkansas

NancyinArkansas Well-Known Member

Hi ya from s w arkansas--i am glad you are here -a new baby--that is great--nancy

15. Reformed_Farmer

Reformed_Farmer Member

Hello from NY

My wife, boys, and my folks and I graze 50 jersey cows, make syrup, raise meat goats, chickens, and anything else that creeps on the earth. It was 20 here today. Lived in the Alaskan Bush for a while. -40 was normal there in the winter. Congrads on the young 'un. I've got 2, praying for 10 or 12 more :)

Scott

16. dakani

dakani Well-Known Member

As it happens, I discovered this site about a couple of weeks ago, and I happen also to live in Canberra. Way down south in the Valley.

17. sisterpine

sisterpine Goshen Farm Supporter

WELCOME! and greetings from Montana! Land of the frozen! It is currently six in the evening and minus 29 degrees F! Thought I might freeze to death running out to gather eggs this morning in my jammies! This evening we are riding our snowmobiles over to our nearest neighbor (6 miles) to play a bit of poker- highlight of the week for those of us who live the isolated life. Our roads to town (about an hour aways) closed for the winter with the last snow storm. So we ride the sleds down to that same neighbors house to get mail and access our wheeled vehicles to go to work etc. Life on the homestead is one adventure after another! May your child grow healthy and strong, and may your homestead dream come true while you are young! Kathleen

18. rwood

rwood Well-Known Member

Wow, thanks for the warm welcome.

Ive woken up to a cooler day today. I think its only about 70F. All the vegies and tree seedling survived.

ibcnya wrote "Oh and let me say, you and your mates have some excellent beer."

Aint that the truth. We also have a great Rum brewed up there in the tropics around Rockhampton ibcnya. Bundaberg to be precise. Crazy, its called Bundaberg Rum :D

rio002 wrote "btw are there really spiders that can jump 30 feet there?? " Thats a myth rio002, its more like a glide than a jump...... ;)

LQ in Oregon, what a wonderful place you live. Every picture Ive seen makes me want to go there first if I every visit the U.S. Ive been growing some Sequoia (Giant Redwood) from cuttings I took from a stand down here in the botanical gardens of Canberra. Started with a hundred but now down to 10 (drought, heat and cheap potting mix seemed to take there toll) but the remaining ones are strong.

moopups - I will keep an eye out for Don Armstrong, thanks.

Scott wrote - "My wife, boys, and my folks and I graze 50 jersey cows, make syrup, raise meat goats, chickens, and anything else that creeps on the earth"

Sounds like my dream. I want to pasture a few pigs, run a milking cow or 10, have some (4-5) beef cattle (Angus or Belted Galloways are the plan), have some chickens running around and watch a few ducks in the pond (where I will hopefully have some fish swimming). The garden, orchard and field crops will keep me busy too. Looking at buying about 40 to 80 Hectares to do it on. Soil quality is the big issue here in Australia. Its such an old continent that the soil is quite poor (generally) relative to other countries. Thanks for the well wishes.

Finally Dakani, someone from Canberra!! Down south in Tuggeranong? I go to church down there at Wanniassa. Ive only been here for a few months, my wife and I live up in Dickson. Might catch up one of these days, its a small place.

Thanks again everybody. By the way, my name is Raphael, but everyone calles me Raf.

Cheers,
    Raf

19. oz in SC

oz in SC Well-Known Member

Welcome aboard,I am a former Australian(lived there until I was 17) but live here in SC.

My sister and her husband just bought a little farm in WA near Perth.

Don Amrstrong and a few on some of the other boards here-Mrs oz says there is one on the cooking forum.

Good to have a differing perspective on the forum.

20. Nan(TX)

Nan(TX) Well-Known Member

Hello from another Texan, and welcome to the board. Congratulations on your baby girl. I hope it want be too long before this song can be a reality. I fell in love with it on our first visit to your incredible country. I also fell in love with Rugby, VB beer, Morton Bay Bugs and a hamburger with-the -lot.

Home Among the Gum Trees
    JOHN WILLIAMSON

I've been around the world a couple of times or maybe more
    I've seen the sights, I've had delights on every foreign shore
    But when my mates all ask me the place that I adore
    I tell them right away

Give me a home among the gum trees with lots of plum trees
    A sheep or two, or a kangaroo
    A clothes-line out the back, verandah out the front
    And an old rocking chair

You can see me in the kitchen, a-cooking up a roast
    Or Vegemite on toast, just you and me, a cup of tea
    Later on we'll settle down and mull up on the porch
    And watch the possums play

And an old rocking chair

There's a Safeways up the corner and a Woolies down the street
    And a brand new place they've opened up where they regulate the heat
    But I'd trade them all tomorrow for a single bush retreat
    Where the kookaburras call

And an old rocking chair

Some people like their houses with fences all around
    Others live in mansions and some beneath the ground
    But me, I like the bush, you know with rabbits running 'round
    And a pumpkin vine out the back

[​IMG]
    Robert is blown over at the size and assorted ingredients in his first hamburger with-the -lot. This picture was taken at the Ohio Cafe in Brisbane, Queensland.
    Hamburgers generally include tomato, lettuce, cheese, and meat with BBQ or tomato sauce, and with the lot include beetroot, onion, egg, bacon, and pineapple.