Hello from a Newbie and Questions

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by FrugalMomof2, Nov 5, 2004.

1. FrugalMomof2

FrugalMomof2 New Member

Hi everyone - hubby and I live on 10 acres in Louisiana. I am very interested in learning about homesteading, raising gardens, clearing property, raising chickens and everything else. Money is tight for us though.

Do you have suggestions for someone just getting started? Are there any great books out there that are good to read that will teach some of the basics?

I've been beggin hubby to build me a clothesline to start hanging out clothes and can't wait to start trying my hand at gardening and canning.

2. dmp437

dmp437 Member

Begin by getting a subscription to Countryside & Small Stock Journal This magazine will give you lots of articles about what other people doing in addition to being a source to order lots of different books on homesteading topics.
    Concerning your clothsline, keep an eye on which direction the prevailing winds are from then plan on being perpindicular to that direction. If the winds are from the west (like ours) then run your lines north & south.

3. JanO

JanO Well-Known Member Supporter

Welcome FrugalMom. You came to the right place to ask questions and get advice. Everybody in here is very knowledgeable and usually willing to assist where they can. I'm going to suggest that get a copy of Carla Emery's book, The Encyclopedia of Country Living. She has spent many hours, and years putting together a great resource for homesteaders, and urbanites alike. Her book is invaluable. You can order it from her site http://www.carlaemery.com

4. sbeerman

sbeerman Well-Known Member

Welcome,

Don't forget to chech your library first,(books) save your money for the best seed you can get for your garden. Talk to every one in you neighborhood who has a garden, you'll get lots of diffrent information but it should give you a place to start. Gardeners love to show you what they up to.
    Read the arcives of diffrent gardening sites you'll learn a lot. Good luck to you.
    Sandie OR.

5. Mudwoman

Mudwoman Well-Known Member

Using the library is a great idea. A lot of people don't realize how wonderful the interlibrary loan program is. You can make a list of books, old or new, and take to your local library----no matter how small it is. Your library will search the data base of every library in the world (they just type in the title and author in a computer and are told who has a copy) and wherever that book is, that library will send it to your library and you can check it out for free for a length of time that usually exceeds the normal limit of 2 or 3 weeks. Our library here in Mt Ida is very small and they don't have the budget to take care of much postage, so I have to pay $2 for interlibrary loan books, but the library where we moved from didn't charge anything.

6. soaring

soaring Member

Absolutely use the library... and I'd like to add, when you're talking to your neighbors about their gardens, express an interest in maybe them saving some seeds/cuttings/roots, from things you'd like to have. Most gardeners I've met seem willing to share to get another gardener started.