Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I have a 2 goats, but am new to sheep. One of my friends has asked me to bottle-raise a lamb that was rejected by it's mother. Can I feed the lamb cow's milk? It's about 1 month old. I'd love to get a quick response if possible. I will get the lamb in a few days. Also, if you have any feeding guidelines for how much milk they should have, I would appreciate that. Thank you!

·
Premium Member
22,403 Posts
Yup, just head out to the store and get WHOLE milk.

But if your goats are in milk, that would be nicer.

I've raised kids and lambs on good ol' cow milk, and they thrived. I let them have as much as they want, and haven't had a kid/lamb get too much yet. When did the ewe reject the lamb? Is it already on the bottle?

·
Registered
827 Posts
First of all.... Welcome from far north west Canada...

We used to raise as many as 40-50 bum lambs at our peak years.. We always fed cows milk after it went through the seperator to take the cream off.. They did well and when mature were a calming influence to the flock as they were handled, moved, sheered, and maintained...

Reactions: Pony

·
Premium Member
22,403 Posts
First of all.... Welcome from far north west Canada...

We used to raise as many as 40-50 bum lambs at our peak years.. We always fed cows milk after it went through the seperator to take the cream off.. They did well and when mature were a calming influence to the flock as they were handled, moved, sheered, and maintained...
I can see how skimmed milk would fatten lambs, but I like that extra fat in the cream for growing brains and other parts.

OTOH, an intelligent sheep can be something of a challenge...

Like Harold.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.