Hello all

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by wldhnter, Dec 19, 2004.

1. wldhnter

wldhnter New Member

Hello all,
    I happened to wander into here while I was doing a google search on homesteading in Alaska. I live in a small village in Newfoundland Canada and am very much interested in self reliance so I have been looking at some of the postings with interest. I live in a rural area but have been commuting to work for the past year. Previous to working ashore I was a sailor on foreign going cargo vessels. I stuck at it for 23 years because it gave me long stretchesof time off to pursue my passion for travelling in and hunting wild country. Now I am ashore to stay but intend to become more self reliant in the years to come. I don't have much experience with domestic animals but have plenty of experience with wild ones. Moose,caribou, bears and such. most of the meat I eat is wild game and has been for some time.
    looking forward to speding some time looking around here.
    Gord.

2. bumpus

bumpus Well-Known Member

Welcome to Homesteading Today ! ! !

On Homesteading Today you will find many different kinds of people even some from Canada, who know much about many different subjects. Have Fun ! ! !

3. babetteq

babetteq Well-Known Member

HIya there fellow canuck!

Just out of curiosity, why alaska? There are lots of places to homestead right here in canada (for intance, I can see alaska from the beach - but I still get health care)... If you want cold.... you're a Newfie, you know the cold.... :p

It is a good site for lots of informaitona nd talking with other poeple who are doing similar stuff..... welcome,

Babs

4. wldhnter

wldhnter New Member

I am not planning on going to Alaska. It seems though that if you are looking for information on northern homesteading or bush living a lot of people have published material or have info posted on Alaska. For example many people dream of chucking it all and going to Alaska. How many people dream of chucking it all and going to Newfoundland? Not many could handle our weather here not because of the cold but because of the damp, wet conditions. I have considered the Yukon and the NWT but will probably stay here on the Rock. Most places these days are getting more crowded with people moving from the cities. Newfoundland however is loosing people on a daily basis because it is truly hard to make a living here.

Thanks for the welcome

5. diane

diane Well-Known Member

Welcome :) I would love to hear more about Newfoundland. Not because I want to move as we have a very well established homestead here in Michigan, but just because I love to hear about other areas and how they are homesteading. I sure hope you stick around and share your adventure with us!!

6. katlupe

katlupe Off-The-Grid Homesteader Supporter

Hello and welcome! I only recently got turned on to this forum and it's one of the best I have come across! Lots of interesting people. I would be very interested in learning how you manage in Newfoundland.