helium baloon wind turbine?

Discussion in 'Alternative Energy' started by sunshine estate, Jul 22, 2006.

1. sunshine estate

sunshine estate Well-Known Member

http://www.magenn.com/index.php

How many of you have seen this? In our part of N. Florida there's not enough wind to surport wind turbines...but this might work...

Interesting concept. I've spent some time thinking about using some kind of baloon to elevate an antenna for cell phone or radio reception...maybe 100 up to clear the trees, etc. Maybe you could combine the concepts...

Yeah, multi-tasking turns me on - especially when it's a device or a livestock animal that's doing the multi-tasking, instead of me!

Just for kicks I'm going to see if I can find a wind-speed map that will give the speeds up 100+...ground level we're calm right now, but we've got a lot of trees.

2. cruiser3006

cruiser3006 Active Member

3. MELOC

MELOC Master Of My Domain

an excellent idea. i would say it is a bit big, lol. i was thinking maybe 10-15 feet. 40 feet is quite large. with battery storage is 4kW needed?

4. JAK

JAK Well-Known Member

I agree that where this concept has merit is in the smaller size, 500w or less.
    In that size range 100' towers aren't feasible, but a balloon with lift might be.

Beyond 100' the cable starts to become a real drag.
    Also it would be better to locate the generator on the ground somehow.

5. solidwoods

solidwoods Ret. US Army Supporter

The add says under $.10 per Kw, our Kw price is $6.17 per Kw.
    N. Central Tn.
    jim

6. sunshine estate

sunshine estate Well-Known Member

Thanks, I found something on a NOAA site, but neither site provides the windspeed 100 feet or more above the ground...I might try surfing around to see if there's some aviation site that can help...or maybe I can ask one of the local TV stations who have a reputation for helping people with this sort of request...

Windspeed is greater when you get 100+ feet above ground; maybe one of these would work in a coastal area, if not inland - I have a mental image of a row of these generator balloons whirling in the sea breeze alongside the coastal highway - they ought to make them in different colors, or in patterns like the hot air balloons...wow, they ought to market them to boats, too...some of the sailboats I saw in St. Augustine had wind turbines on them - I was green with envy.