Heliotrope?

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by twind59, Aug 2, 2005.

1. twind59

twind59 Well-Known Member

Are heliotrope's annual or perrenial? Can they be overwintered in any way in zone 5? Thanks
    Barry

2. birdie_poo

birdie_poo Well-Known Member

In So Cal, you can't kill them! I know they are heat hearty, drought tolerant, and low maintenance. I'm not familiart with Z5, but hope the above helps.

3. .Marie.

.Marie. Registered Human

Heliotrope is considered an annual in zones up to 7, perennial in zones 8 and higher. I am in zone 5/6, and I've tried overwintering it outdoors...it does not work. I bring it indoors before frost, cut it back a bit, and it makes a great houseplant.

4. twind59

twind59 Well-Known Member

Thanks. I really like this plant, so I'll bring it in when the weather gets cold.

5. kosh

kosh Well-Known Member

I have a heliotrope I bought last spring. It overwintered in a pot outside. I'm in zone 6, and we had a brutal winter last year with record snow fall and bitter cold. It survived the winter and is now thriving (finally in it's new home in the ground!).

6. cc-rider

cc-rider Baroness of TisaWee Farm Supporter

I'm glad I didn't know that they don't overwinter or I'd have dug mine up and probably killed it. :)

Instead, it has taken over about 10' of the garden and grows like crazy!!! I'm in zone 5. Mine is the periennial kind that has the white flowers and smells like baby powder. I think I planted it about 5 years ago, and I've torn out tons and tons of it because it spreads like mint!

Mine is in a protected area, between the house and porch, and sheltered by huge pines on the other side, so probably is more protected than most, but I don't even cover it in the winter or anything.

Hope this helps! I sure enjoy the stuff!!!!!

Chris
    NW Ohio

7. woodspirit

woodspirit Well-Known Member

the white flowered variety sound like valerian officianalis. also called perennial heliotrope.
    the annual heliotrope has a dark purplish flower. Both grow well in zone 5
    Valerian roots have a calming sedative effect when drunk as a tea. Hold your nose though as they smell like dirty socks. Similar chemical compound as found in Valium. I believe that is where Valium originated.
    Interesting side note:
    Valerian roots were what the pied piper carried in his pouch to get the rats out of town. He told folks that it was his flute but alas twas the stinky pouch.
    It has the same effect on cats and rats that catnip has on cats. Go ask a cat!!!