Heirloom's`

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by seedspreader, Nov 24, 2004.

1. seedspreader

seedspreader AFKA ZealYouthGuy

Anyone here grow only heirloom varieties in their Garden? If so, please fill me in on what you are growing, if the seed you have was initially storebought and any common names for them you might have.

All my gardens have been hybrids, and I am really interested in heirlooms as I would love to plant, harvest, replant, and do a little experimenting with soils, fertilizers etc. to see how to best enhance the plant!

Thanks for any info, before hand!

2. mpillow

mpillow Well-Known Member Supporter

Brandywine tomatoes and new england pie pumpkins(seeds from Johnny's) bought seedlings at local greenhouse. Both did excellent despite rainy cool summer...pumpkins grew in new garden spot that was very very very sandy amended with composted goat manure and top dressed with fresh barn litter to keep weeds down and to feed next years soil.

Tomatoes were grown in heavy soil amended with goat manure.

We had 3 different gardens in 2 different counties in Maine.

We grow hybrid corn because of the short season.

3. silosounds

silosounds Well-Known Member

all the stuff i grow is hieloom i grow basil, savory, sage, citron, lavender, broom corn, thyme, dill, parsley. rosemary. beets, peppermint ,spearmint, borage,wormwood, hysopp, calandula, bayberry, french terragon, hibiscus,carrots. I bought most of my stuff from baker creek seed get hooked up with jere Gettle with hierloom gardener mag. www.rareseed.com Jeremiath Gettle has a lot of knowledge on hielooms around the world. His magazine features all kind of rareseeds and their sources . I love my heirlooms they dont seem to have as many problems since im organic , I havent had to use many insect detourents and the seed save really well I have soom seed that iv skipped a year using and its as vigorous as new seed Im impressed.
    Terry in ks zone 5

4. 26tiger

26tiger New Member

Hi....There are lots of heirloom seed sources on the net. Become a member of the Seed Saver's Exchange in Decatur Iowa and you will have all the sources you could possibly want. Good luck!

5. seedspreader

Thanks tiger, is that true even if you don't have any heirloom seeds to start f :confused: :(

I don't want to seem like a mooch!

6. Paquebot

Paquebot Well-Known Member

Seed Savers Exchange ain't in Decatur, they are in Decorah, Iowa! Also, one does not have to be a member to buy directly from SSE. They also have a public catalog with 630 varieties of vegetables. Go to their site, www.seedsavers.org and click on Request Catalog. Catalogs are just now being mailed and I got mine yesterday.

Martin

7. whiterock

whiterock Well-Known Member Supporter

Thank you, Martin.
    Ed

8. seedspreader

Thanks, I requested a catalog