heirloom tomatoes blooming but no fruit?

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by Shelly, Jul 21, 2005.

1. Shelly

Shelly Member

OK, I got my garden in really late this year. (late May, I'm in East Central OK) I planted some Mr Stripey heirloom tomatoes along with cherries, beefsteak and romas. My other tomatoes have fruit but the Mr Stripies bloomed and then nothing. They are now blooming again but if there is some reason they didn't set fruit before, I'd like to try and help them out this time.

Any thoughts? We have a little blight, I've been removing leaves. The Mr Stripies do have some yellow leaves down low that don't look "blighty" but in all the plants seem to be in similar health to my other varieties. They are all planted in the same area and receiving identical care. ??? This is my first year with heirlooms, are they really that different then hybrids?

2. Paquebot

Paquebot Well-Known Member

Yes, I have thoughts and Mr. Stripey is different! Remember that the need for cross-pollination was bred out of tomatoes several centuries ago and now most are self-pollinating. I grew it last year and found it to be one of those with an obvious inefficient blossom. At first I blamed our unusually wet and cool summer, plus perhaps too much shade, for a lack of fruit set. Then I found that it seemed to be about the same no matter where it was grown nationally. In the end, I think that it's typical of many of the large-fruited varieties. Mr. Stripey can produce beefsteak fruit well over a pound. Although they may have a spray of 15-20 flowers, the plant seems to know when it can handle the load and how much. Until the very end, I don't think that I ever had more than 2 fruit from a single blossom cluster and they were late. However, I thought that they were worth waiting for.

Martin