Heirloom Seeds

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by big rockpile, Mar 26, 2005.

1. big rockpile

big rockpile If I need a Shelter

2. bethlaf

bethlaf Homegrown Family

rockpile, you know they have an open house in april , the 24/25th , its a huge garden flea market, anything you might want to grow:D , were planning on going up there for it :D if you promise you wont end up in the hospital again , we might get a chance to see you there:D

oh , and another thing , did you guys know the 10 and 25 cent seeds they sell in walmart and other retailers are MANY times old heirloom seeds, OP and all .... thats how they can sell them so cheap , hybrids cost $$$$ :D
    isnt it nice to be frugal :D
    Beth

3. big rockpile

big rockpile If I need a Shelter

Beth!Beth!Beth! Yes I just seen where they have their big doing in April,thinking of heading down that way,not that I'm not excited :haha: Well yes I am!!

I got some of their seed at MFA thats how I found their site.

big rockpile

4. Miz Mary

Miz Mary Well-Known Member Supporter

nice web site - ordered the catalog.....wish there were more photos of the flowers........

5. shadowwalker

shadowwalker Well-Known Member

Been a customer for years, and just got a $200.00 seed order from them for our produce garden and greenhouse!

6. shadowwalker

shadowwalker Well-Known Member

Been a customer for years, and just got a $200.00 seed order from them for our produce garden, flower sales, and greenhouses! shadowwalker

7. Topaz Farm

Topaz Farm Well-Known Member

Is there any way to tell if the Walmart seeds are heirloom? And also what does OP stand for?

8. lynpea

lynpea Well-Known Member

OP- open pollinated which means that it is not a hybrid, and will produce offspring true to the parent plant. I would read the back of the seed packs that you are going to buy at Walmart, I haven't seen where they are OP/heirloom variaties.

Rockpile- I have been ordering from Bakers Creek for years. I am sooooo envious that you live near there and get to go! Tried to talk Dh into a roadtrip- but he decided that 6 days (round trip) was a bit much for, a garden show! Tell us about it after you go.

lynpea