Heirloom seeds from GRIN

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by fernando, Jun 8, 2005.

1. fernando

fernando Well-Known Member

I ordered seeds from the National Plant Germplasm System and have planted both the blue coco pole bean and a pole variety of fordhook limas. Has anyone else planted these varieties? What kind of luck are you having? Mine germinated nicely, but look to have some sort of fungus or virus problem....all of my other beans, squash, melons, tomatoes, and cole vegetables are doing fine. And they all share the same garden area. I'd like to hear how yours are doing. I live in zone 6 and have had my beans in for about 3-4 weeks now.

2. suelandress

suelandress Windy Island Acres Supporter

Have you had a lot of rain too? I thought I had fungus on my squash....but it was just sunburned...when we FINALLY got sun.

3. amwitched

amwitched Well-Known Member

I ordered the Blue Coco seeds also. They are growing quite well. I have had several pickings already. They turned out to be a climbing variety - so be prepared.

My entire row of beans also has a powdery coating on the leaves (fungus). I have attributed that to the rain that we received a couple weeks ago. I need to spray the leaves in the morning with a milk solution or baking soda solution, but I have just been so "lazy". I need to do it in the morning so the sun can dry the leaves. There just doesn't seem to be enough time in the day.

4. fernando

fernando Well-Known Member

No, not a lot of rain. My cucumbers, squash and melons look fine. Purple pole beans, yellow romano pole beans are good too. Just the blue cocoa and fordhook limas. I'm not going to give up on them just yet. I have not grown these two varieties in the past...perhaps they are supposed to look 'sickly'!

5. AnnaS

AnnaS Well-Known Member

I got Blue Coco from GRIN too. I'm in Zone 3 so they don't look like much yet. I also have Marfax, Black Valentine, Pawnee Speckled, and Pike beans planted so have a basis of comparison.