Heirloom seed company

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by Kazahleenah, Jan 4, 2006.

1. Kazahleenah

Kazahleenah Disgruntled citizen

2. birdie_poo

birdie_poo Well-Known Member

It doesn't specify which seeds are heirloom! Be VERY carefull ordering from them. I know for afact that Lumina (white pumpkin) are patented hybrid seeds, yet it didn't say anything about that in the description.

3. Paquebot

Paquebot Well-Known Member

No company, that I can find, is listing Lumina as a hybrid. That's an open-pollinated white squash in the cucurbita maxima family.

Martin

4. birdie_poo

I bought them one and right on the envelope the seeds came in it was listed.

5. Paquebot

Lumina may be patented but it's still a stable open-pollinated variety. Propagation rights would be protected by the patent issued to Nature Hills Nursery.

There are some OP tomatoes currently that way also. Procacci owned the rights to Santa grape tomatoes until it expired. Although originally listed as a hybrid, Santa turned out to be 99% stable. Currently, Procacci own the rights to Ugly Ripe tomato which is a stabilized cross, protected by patent, but open-pollinated nevertheless.

Martin

6. birdie_poo

Don't know what to tell you. Along with the hybrid info and patent it had a statement on the envelope that said propogation of the seeds harvested was against the law and violators would be sued. I have a carnation that came with those same 'instructions'.

7. Paquebot

I've checked many of my catalogs back through 2002 and none listed Lumina as a hybrid. No current web site list it as a hybrid, either. If someone sold it as a hybrid, then they either didn't know what they were selling or it was black market seed.

I was actually surprised that Lumina wasn't credited to Johnny's Selected Seeds as they used to have quite a large amount of acreage devoted just to developing new squash and pumpkins.

There's no problem growing patented flowers or vegetables and saving their seeds. Underground market goes on for home-produced seed but mostly under the guise of trades. You just can't sell those seeds, cuttings, etc. Those who wish to flaunt the patent rules just have to look at the Monsanto vs Schmeiser case. :D

Martin