Heirloom Seed Catalogs - which ones?

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by Gimpy_Magoo, Oct 16, 2004.

1. Gimpy_Magoo

Gimpy_Magoo Well-Known Member

We're planning an heirloom garden next year and would like some input on some of the most reliable seed catalogs for Heirloom Veggie seeds.

Thanks in advance :)

Bill

2. countrygrrrl

countrygrrrl PITA

Go to the sticky at the top of the page for WATCHDOG --- that's a great gardening site which lists hundreds (if not thousands) of gardening places. There are ratings for many of the sites, although some have not yet been rated.

Those ratings include things like the general reliability of the company (do they actually ship what you bought? do they overcharge? how is their packing? are they professional in their dealings with you?), seed viability and germination rates, stuff like that.

I've been studying that site for a month or so now. :D

Last night, in fact, I spent most of the evening there, making comparisons between the various gardening places I'd gotten myself narrowed down to. I finally did an order of some heirlooms from Baker Creek and have been working on an order from No Thyme, in between doing my outside chores today. I chose these seed places because of their ratings, the choice they offer, etc.

Be sure to actually go through all the ratings for a gardening place --- sometimes, someone will have a very good rating, based on positive feedback which is kind of old --- but their feedback for 2004 is really bad. Or a place might not have the top rating because of lots of problems and negatives when they first started a couple years ago, but is now getting lots of positives. In addition, by going through the ratings and actually reading them, you can feel fairly assured that you buy from a company that holds high standards in the kinds of things YOU consider important.

In the past, I've bought from seedman --- I really like their selection and think they're a great little company, but their germination rates are pretty low.

3. marvella

marvella Well-Known Member

i've been buying from pinetree for several years now. like to do business with them, also because when i've called there, a person actually answers the phone.
    http://www.superseeds.com/

4. countrygrrrl

countrygrrrl PITA

About those ratings in Garden Watchdog (sorry, meant to say this in my first post, but gardeing chores were calling :D ) ...

Some of the negative reviews I saw were kind of baseless. In addition, for some companies I'm considering ordering from, I saw that each and every negative was answered by the company at Garden Watchdog, and I had to agree with their assessment of the problem (eg, why a plant that dies weeks after purchase is likely the victim of the purchaser, not the company, their attempts at resolution, etc.)

In addition, in at least one case, I suspect negative reviews were being posted by someone who is hoping to be a competitor --- and one negative I saw wasn't on the quality of the plants or how quickly they arrived, but rather they didn't like the shipping charges, which, for what they'd ordered, actually seemed pretty reasonable to me.

IOW, it will be well worth your time to spend an evening or so browsing Garden Watchdog and certainly worth your time to read all the reviews, esp. the negatives. :)

Back to the garden ... :yeeha:

5. southerngurl

southerngurl le person Supporter

6. Gimpy_Magoo

Gimpy_Magoo Well-Known Member

excellent so far.

I was/have been paroosing the watchdog site for some time now. In fact O ordered a few of the catalogs suggested by you guys here - THANKS it was a HUGE Help to have your suggestions for companies you have actually ordered from.
    I'll go back to more watchdog hunting but I would really like your feedback from your personal experiences and who you order from.

thanks again.
    Bill

7. kathy H

kathy H kathyh

8. Pony

Pony Well-Known Member Supporter

I have had great success working with Mayo Underwood at Grandma's Garden

http://www.underwoodgardens.com

They'll send you a catalog, although everything they offer is online as well. Good support, big variety of heirloom and open pollinated, high quality, even give you info on how to save seeds and pass them along.

I can't recommend them highly enough. :dance:

Pony!

9. countrygrrrl

countrygrrrl PITA

In addition to Baker Creek (which is the rareseeds site listed above), I put in an order to No Thyme http://www.NoThyme.com --- and the order just arrived. :D Guess I'll know next spring-summer how good the seeds are!

10. CMATE

CMATE Well-Known Member

An absolutely terrific place to visit &/or join is The Seed Savers Exchange! AWESOME!
    www.seedsavers.org