Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was doing some last minute shopping today, and went to the World Market store. If you are not familiar with it, it is kinda a niche store selling foods, candy from around the world. A little uppy. Great place to get german chocolates. Well, I walked through their pasta aisle, and some small bags of beans caught my eye because they had written on the front of them "Heirloom Beans". They were being sold as 'gourmet' beans for side dishes, etc. One of the beans was Christmas Lima (from Peru), and the other was Yellow Indian Woman. I bought two bags, and might try growing them! The bags were 12oz each, and about $5 each.

Here is their website:
http://wildriceexchange.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=category&sectionid=6&id=15&Itemid=39

·
Windy Island Acres
4,588 Posts
Good buy! Are you gonna try presprouting a few to make sure they weren't irradiated(do they do that to beans?)

·
Banned
14,801 Posts
If you grow them, both will need support. Christmas Lima will need 6' while Yellow Indian Woman needs at least 4'. Don't worry about them crossing as they are 2 different species.

Martin

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
wow, 6' - better start planning some trellis work.
Sue, the thought about them being zapped has been running through my mind. I will try to sprout some after the holidays and see how they do. I hope they work - the Christmas Limas are kinda neat looking - white and crimson splotchy.

·
Banned
14,801 Posts
6' is minimum for Christmas Lima. Some growers call for 8'. That generally means that the vines may be 16' long; 8' up and 8' down. I use a 10' TV antenna tower base for White Willow Leaf and they will go to the top, come back down, and start up again. I do indeed use a stepladder to pick those at the top!

Yellow Indian Woman is a runner bean. They also could easily climb 6' but will do equally well at 4'. The difference between those and regular pole beans is that regular beans know mostly up whereas runner beans also know sideways. I'd swap an ounce of any bean that I have for an once of those but the last thing I need is another bean to plant. With the addition of 7 more dry bush varieties yesterday, must have at least 60 to make room for next year!

Martin

·
Master Of My Domain
7,220 Posts
i looked at pics of the yellow indian woman beans and they look a lot like brown dutch.

·
Banned
14,801 Posts
i looked at pics of the yellow indian woman beans and they look a lot like brown dutch.
Yes, the pictures look that way but it took all day for it to register. I've got that seed as Ava! It was obtained as a variety grown for many years by Hispanics in parts of Colorado. When fresh, it's light tan but then dries and ages to a golden brown just like Brown Dutch. Now I know why so few others had heard of Ava. That's a local name for the Yellow Indian Woman.

Martin

1 - 7 of 7 Posts