Heirloom Apples

Discussion in 'Plant and Tree Identification' started by daily, Nov 24, 2005.

1. daily

daily Member

I need advice on which heirloom apple varieties store the best, which cook up the best, and any varieties you would recommend.

Thank You :cowboy:

2. Jennifer L.

Jennifer L. Well-Known Member Supporter

http://www.sln.potsdam.ny.us/

Check out the online catalogue for this nursery. They have a lot of varieties and a lot of advice as well.

Jennifer

3. Grovers2

Grovers2 Well-Known Member

If you can find a good Baldwin or Spy variety they will keep for quite some time. You must keep them in a cool area such as a root cellar. :cowboy:

4. Charleen

Charleen www.HarperHillFarm.com Supporter

I agree with Grovers2 about the Baldwins. They keep forever in our root cellar. I know that they're available at Miller Nurseries in the FingerLakes area of NY. http://www.millernurseries.com/index.php

They make delicious pies.

5. cowboy joe

cowboy joe Hired Hand

I have Macoun, Baldwin, yellow delicious and one yet to be identified variety in my orchard. The unidentified variety is medium green in color with dark green spots...my youngest DD calls them Shrek apples becuase of their appearence.

The Baldwins are good keepers and bake up nice. The Macouns are better eating apples than even Macs but don't keep as long as the Baldwins. The local critters prefer the yellow delicious followed by the Macouns and then the Baldwins. They'll eat all the drops (and whatever they can reach) before moving over to the next favorite variety.

I've dealt with Miller Nurseries in the past. They have fine stock and stand by whatever they sell.