Heifer W/ Horns

Discussion in 'Cattle' started by Rookie_Bee94, Jan 31, 2005.

1. Rookie_Bee94

Rookie_Bee94 Active Member

Hey guys! This is my first post on here, but I've been reading the posts for quite a while...
    Anyways, on to my question. At the farm where I work and board my horses, there are 2 cows, both a little under a year old. One is a black Angus bull (Midnight), and the other is a Holstein heifer (Arrow). Arrow has had horns for about 1/2 a year now, and Midnight has yet to grow any at all. I was wondering if this was odd. Im not exactly a "cow savvy" person, but I just always thought that only male cows had horns....
    Thanks to anyone who answers this post.
    -Marissa & Rookie
    :yeeha:

2. milkstoolcowboy

milkstoolcowboy Farmer

It'd be better to say there are two cattle. Cow means a female.

Polled (no horns) is a gene in cattle that is simple dominant. In cattle, you can get three genotypes:

pp = cattle that will produce horns
    Pp = cattle that are naturally polled but with a recessive gene for horns
    PP = homozygous polled. Cattle that are naturally polled and will produce polled offspring no matter what they are crossed with.

Black Angus (Aberdeen Angus) are a naturally polled breed -- no horns. Other naturally polled breeds: Lowlines, Galloways, Gelbviehs, Ostlands, I am sure there are more.

Holsteins generally have horns - both sexes - but there are naturally polled Holsteins as well. There aren't many polled Holsteins, but some breeders breed for this trait, and you should be able to get polled Holstein semen from Genex, ABS, Semex USA, Taurus and a few other studs.

Hope this helps explain things.

3. dosthouhavemilk

dosthouhavemilk Well-Known Member Supporter

Bovine works even better than cattle. ;)

milkstool explained it perfectly.

4. Rookie_Bee94

Rookie_Bee94 Active Member

Thanks so much! I appreciate your help! I'll pass this on to the others at the barn who have been wondering the same thing!
    -Marissa & Rookie

5. uncle Will in In.

uncle Will in In. Well-Known Member Supporter

Sex isn't a deciding factor with cattle horns.

6. Christof

Christof New Member