heifer refuses to nurse

Discussion in 'Cattle' started by agmantoo, Mar 23, 2005.

1. agmantoo

agmantoo agmantoo Supporter

26 month old black beef heifer has a 5 day old calf that she refuses to nurse. I have the cow and calf penned together and the calf frequently attempts to nurse but the new mom refuses to co-operate by kicking. The cow, after repeating the process for 4 days, will readily enter into the squeeze chute and stand quietly while the calf nurses. However, once out of the restraint, she reverts to the previous non mothering ways. Any thoughts?

2. myersfarm

myersfarm Dariy Calf Raiser

sounds to me like ( after 4 days of not being a mom and her not kicking in the squeeze nothing wrong with the bag or tits ) its time for the sale barn

3. JeffNY

JeffNY Seeking Type

Well, if you like the angus (a pet), don't want to get rid of it. Your best bet, is get some milk replacer and start feeding it. However, some will take to them after a period of time, I worked with one for 3 weeks, yes 3 weeks. Now if I gave up after a few days, and shipped her. I would not have had 4 since then (her 6th is due any day now). She did take to the calf at the 3rd week, and is an excellent mom now. We have had some at first, not good. Second time around, they are perfect. We do have one, she took to one, but others naaa. We still have her, and will likely keep her, she still calves and if she doesn't take to it, we will rear it ourselves. We did stick her last one on another mother, he became ******head, because he would nurse from the back, and as you can guess what happens next! Either way, depends on your patience, keep on her with the squeeze chute. Don't let her kick the calf, keep it around her, or bring the calf out when its time to feed it. Some never take, some do after some time.

Jeff