Heifer Missing Mommy Parts

Discussion in 'Cattle' started by angus_guy, Aug 24, 2005.

1. angus_guy

angus_guy Well-Known Member

I have a 20 month old heifer that does not (according to Vet) have one ovary and her tract is "very small". To add positve credence to the Vet I have never seen her cycle. Three rounds of lutalyce and no heat what are my options other than yard ornament. Is she too old for slaughter (12-1400lbs) If I were to slaughter her I think she would need at least 8 weeks on grain and corn

What If I were to sell her to a someone for slaughter (I just slaughtered one) what price should I expect .9-.95 ?

2. Irish Pixie

Irish Pixie Well-Known Member

She could be a freemartin, a heifer calf born with a bull calf twin.

Stacy

3. Tana Mc

Tana Mc Well-Known Member Supporter

Actually, she is just right for slaughter. If she were mine and I didn't need the meat, I'd haul her to the sale barn/auction ASAP. The price of cattle is quite good but I don't think that you will get quite that much for her because she is a heifer..... because of breeding issues, they just don't bring as high as steers for slaughter. Even tho your heifer is not reproductively sound, order buyers won't know that. I''d expect about .85 or so.
    I sold a 300 lbs Holstien steer for $1.15/lbs last week and I couldn't believe it! He was a bottle calf and just too ornery to keep any longer around the kids. If we were out anywhere near his pasture, he began trying tp push the fence down to get to us and I was afraid that he would teach the other calves how to do it....
    Tana Mc