Heifer A I ed

Discussion in 'Cattle' started by Kathryn L.Holck, Sep 3, 2004.

1. Kathryn L.Holck

Kathryn L.Holck Active Member

We have simmentals and last years heifer will be A Ied tomorrow morning. Our steer was cut late and still has enough testosterone to detect her estrus cycle. I wanted a June calf for next year and hope she takes the first go-round. With our small herd we cannot afford to corral or feed a bull. We have a terrific Vet. who brings his catch chute and works well with the animals. I would have had her A I ed in March but she needed to grow more. With our cooler summer the steer and heifer have grown well.
    Does anyone have any experiences with the A I ing of cattle? I have heard of some taking 3 times or more to settle.

In March we had the CDR insert and one of the cows scratched her behind on the fence and pulled one out a day too soon. The vet had to come an extra time for her and then again for the other 2. But they did all settle the first go-round.

2. willow_girl

willow_girl Very Dairy

My boss says heifers aren't any more difficult to AI and the conception rate is no different than with older cows. Maybe better because they're probably not as likely to be infected or cystic or torn up from their last calf!

Good luck and hope you get a calf in the first round! :)

3. julielou

julielou Member

AI-ing worked on the first attempts both times I had it done to my 3/4 Guernsey-Angus Cross, the first time at 17 months and the second at 30 months. She bellows loudly when in estrus and is hard to contain in her pasture. She mounted her 3-month old calf and had him scared to bits on the ground under her feet 10 days ago, so I had to separate them. I'm hoping the AI Tech will return my call soon so's I can get her settled in again for a June calving.